- High-Density (4mm x 4.5mm for 30A): Less than 25% of the Board Area of Conventional Solutions
- Monolithic Integration of Power, Control, and Monitoring
- Integrated Power MOSFET with 1.9mΩ Total Resistance in 12V Power Path (RDS(ON), Including Package)
- Integrated Lossless, Precise Current Sensing
- Integrated LDO Provides VDD Supply (1.8V Bias Suppy)
- Enables Advanced System Power Management—PMBus/SMBus Telemetry with Extensive Status Monitoring and Reporting
- Load Current Indicator (ILOAD) Pin Provides Analog Output Current Reporting with High Accuracy
- Programmable Soft-Start for Inrush Current Limiting
- Detection and Isolation of Severe Overcurrent in Less Than 5µs
- Fail-Safe Overcurrent (Safe-OCP) Detection and Isolation in Less Than 250ns
- Three Levels of Programmable Overcurrent Protection (MAX16550)
- VIN-to-VOUT Short Protection During Startup
The MAX16550 family are protection ICs with integrated low-resistance MOSFETs and lossless current sense circuitry featuring SMBus/PMBus™ control and reporting.
The IC is designed to provide the optimum solution for distribution, control, monitoring, and protection of the system’s 12V power supply. An internal LDO provides the supply voltage for the protection IC.
If no fault is detected, the IC initiates the startup and has been designed to provide controlled, monotonic startup. Programmable soft-start ramp and delay is implemented to limit the in-rush current during startup.
The IC monitors the current, voltage and power of the 12V system power rail and provides multiple levels of protection with fast turn-off if a fault is detected.
Maxim’s patented, lossless current sense provides highaccuracy current-sensing over load and temperature, improving overall system-energy efficiency, and reducing dissipation.
Output voltage is monitored at all times. If at any time the output voltage falls below the programmable output undervoltage-lockout threshold, the PWRGD signal is asserted low. If, at any time, the input voltage falls below the programmable input undervoltage lockout threshold, the PWRGD signal is asserted low. These ICs can be programmed through PMBus to provide input overvoltage protection. Input overvoltage protection is disabled by default. When enabled through PMBus, if the input voltage exceeds a programmable overvoltage threshold, the MOSFET is latched off and a fault indicated.
The evaluation kit (EV kit) consists of an assembled and tested printed circuit board implementation of a 12V power distribution network using the MAX16550 protection ICs. All of the MAX16550 features can be verified using this EV kit. More thorough explanations of topics discussed in this manual may be found in the MAX16550 data sheet.
The MAX16550 EV kit also evaluates the MAX16550A and MAX16550B devices if the board is reworked to replace U7 accordingly.