- Demonstrates Robustness of MAX20446B
- Wide 4.5V to 36V Input Operating Range (Up to 52V Load Dump)
- Powers HB LEDs (Up to Six Strings) for Medium-to- Large-Sized LCD Displays in Automotive and Display Backlight Applications
- 400kHz to 2.2MHz Resistor-Programmable Switching Frequency with Spread-Spectrum Option
- Phase-Shift Dimming Option
- Demonstrates Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limit and Thermal-Shutdown Features
- Demonstrates Wide Dimming Ratio
- Demonstrates Fail-Safe Operation
- I2C Programmability
- Dedicated GUI
- Proven PCB Layout and Thermal Design
- Fully Assembled and Tested
The MAX20446B evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the MAX20446B integrated 6-channel high-brightness (HB) LED driver with boost controller and I2C interface for automotive displays.
The EV kit operates from a DC supply voltage between 4.5V and 36V and the switching frequency can be set either at 2.2MHz or at 400kHz. The EV kit operates in I2C mode only. Spread-spectrum mode (SSM) is enabled by default for electromagnetic interference (EMI) improvement but can be disabled by acting on a register bit. The EV kit demonstrates phase-shifted pulse-width modulation (PWM) dimming. Dimming can be performed externally using a PWM signal applied to the DIM PCB pad or internally by programming the desired dimming frequency and individual duty cycle through I2C. The hybrid dimming feature can be enabled through a register bit to reduce EMI. The EV kit also demonstrates short-LED, open-LED, boost output undervoltage, as well as overvoltage- and overtemperature-fault protection.
For operation at switching frequencies other than 2.2MHz or 400kHz, the external components should be chosen according to the calculations in the MAX20446B IC data sheet.
The EV kit provides an I2C nterface that can operate in conjunction with the Maxim command module (MINIQUSB+) or a third-party I2C master. The EV kit also includes Windows®-compatible software that provides a simple graphical user interface (GUI) for exercising the features of the IC.