MAXREFDES1204: Single-Output SEPIC Converter Using MAX16990
The MAXREFDES1204 is a single-output SEPIC converter reference design developed using the MAX16990 controller. This reference design is rated to operate over a wide input voltage range from 6V to 18V. The design can deliver an output power of 24W at 12V. It is targeted for automotive applications.
- Very High Efficiency > 90% for Load > 25%
- Very Low Line and Load Regulation < 0.02%
- Output Voltage Ripple < 0.7% at Nominal VIN
- Overshoot < 2.6% for 50% Step Load
- Continuous Conduction Mode (CCM) Operation
- Internal Soft-Start
Designed, Built, Tested
This document describes the hardware shown above. It provides a detailed, systematic technical guide to designing a SEPIC converter using Maxim’s MAX16990 current-mode controller. The power supply uses uncoupled inductors and has been built and tested, details of which follow later in this document.