Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Converts Output of a K-Type Thermocouple Directly to a Signed 14-Bit Digital Word
- Cold-Junction Compensation
- 14-Bit, 0.25°C Resolution
- Detects Thermocouple Shorts to GND or VCC
- Detects Open Thermocouple
- 6-Pin Pmod-Compatible Connector (SPI)
- Example Software Written in C for Portability
- RoHS Compliant
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- Industrial Equipment
The MAX31855PMB1 peripheral module provides the necessary hardware to interface the MAX31855 cold-junction compensated thermocouple-to-digital converter to any system that utilizes Pmod™-compatible expansion ports. The IC performs cold-junction compensation and digitizes the signal from a thermocouple. Versions of the IC are available that operate with a K-, J-, N-, T-, R-, or E-type thermocouple. This module is set up to operate with a K-type thermocouple. The data is output in a signed 14-bit, SPI-compatible, read-only format. This converter resolves temperatures to 0.25°C, allows readings as high as +1800°C and as low as -270°C, and exhibits thermocouple accuracy of ±2°C for temperatures ranging from -200°C to +700°C for K-type thermocouples.
For full range accuracies, other thermocouple types, and detailed information regarding operation of the IC, refer to the MAX31855 IC data sheet.
Note: K-type thermocouple is not included with Maxim Peripheral Module collections.