Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Low 0.8V to 6V Input Supply Voltage
- New µMAX® Package
- 85% Efficiency at 100mA
- 25µA Quiescent Current
- 1µA Shutdown Mode
- 125mA and 500mA Switch Current Limits Permit Use of Low-Cost Inductors
- Up to 500kHz Switching Frequency
- ±1.5% Reference Tolerance Over Temperature
- Low-Battery Detector (LBI/LBO)
- Surface-Mount Construction
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- 2-Cell and 3-Cell Battery-Operated Equipment
- 3.3V to 5V Step-Up Conversion
- Glucose Meters
- Medical Instrumentation
- Palmtop Computers
- Personal Data Communicators/Computers
- Portable Data-Collection Equipment
The MAX856—MAX859 are CMOS, step-up, DC-DC switching regulators for small, low input voltage or battery-powered systems. The MAX856/MAX858 accept a positive input voltage between 0.8V and 6V and convert it to a higher, pin-selectable output voltage of 3.3V or 5V. The MAX857/MAX859 adjustable versions accept 0.8V to 6V input voltages and generate a higher, adjustable output voltage in the 2.7V to 6V range. Typical full-load efficiencies for the MAX856-MAX859 are greater than 85%.
A movable jumper on the EV kit selects either a 3.3V or 5.0V output voltage. Additional pads on the board's solder side accommodate resistors for the LBI/LBO low-battery detector or MAX857/MAX859 output adjustment.