Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Buck and Boost Operation Including Seamless Transition between Buck and Boost Modes
- 2.3V to 5.5V VIN Range
- 2.60V to 5.14V VOUT with 20mV Step
- 3A Minimum Continuous Output Current (VINBB ≥ 3.0V, VOUTBB = 3.3V)
- Burst Current: 3.6A Minimum Output Current for 800µs (VINBB ≥ 3.0V, VOUTBB = 3.3V)
- I2C Serial Interface Allows Dynamic VOUT Adjustment and Provides Design Flexibility
- 97.5% Peak Efficiency
- 40μA Quiescent Current
- Safety Features Enhance Device and System Reliability
- True Shutdown™
- Thermal Shutdown and Short-Circuit Protection
- Multifunction GPIO Pin
- MAX77816A: FPWM Mode Enable
- MAX77816B: Inductor Peak Current-Limit Selection
- MAX77816C: Output Voltage Selection
- MAX77816D: Power-OK Indicator
- MAX77816E: Interrupt Indicator
- Small Size: 1.827mm x 2.127mm, 20-Bump WLP, 0.4mm Pitch
- Digital camera: power
- E-cigarette: powers the atomizer
- Gas/Water meters: powers the data concentrator
- Skin beauty products: powers high-power LEDs
- Smartphone: powers camera subsystem, sensor, RGB LED, SDIO, finger scanner etc
The MAX77816 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested printed circuit board (PCB) for evaluating the IC. The IC is a high-current, high-efficiency buck-boost regulator targeting single-cell Li-ion battery-powered applications. It supports a wide output voltage range from 2.60V to 5.14V. The IC allows 5A (typ) maximum switch current. In buck mode, the output current can go as high as 4A, and in boost mode, the maximum output current can be 3A. A unique control algorithm allows highefficiency, outstanding line/load transient response, and seamless transition between buck and boost modes.
The IC features I2C-compatible serial interface. The I2C interface allows the output voltage to be dynamically adjusted thus enabling finer control of system power consumption. The I2C interface also provides features such as enable control and device status monitoring.
The multifunction GPIO pin is register settable to five different options such as FPWM mode enable and inductor peak current-limit selection. These options provide design flexibility that allows the IC to cover a wide range of applications and use cases.
The Maxim Command Module (MINIQUSB) can be used to enable USB-to-I2C communication between a Windows®-compatible PC and the EV kit. The EV kit software provides a Windows-based graphical user interface (GUI) to exercise the various features of the IC.