Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 90% to 95% Efficiency for 50mA to 2.5A Output Currents
- 4V to 15V Input Voltage Range
- Low 800µA Supply Current
- 0.6µA Shutdown Current
- Drives External P-Channel FETs
- Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limiting
- 2V ±1.5% Accurate Reference Output
- Adjustable Soft-Start
- Precision Comparator for Power-Fail or Low-Battery Warning
- 5V to 3.3V Green PC Applications
- Battery-Powered Applications
- Cell Phones
- Notebook Power Supplies
- PDAs and Other Handheld Devices
High efficiency is maintained with light loads due to a proprietary dual-control (Idle-Mode) scheme that minimizes switching losses by reducing the switching frequency at light loads. The low 800µA quiescent current and ultra-low 0.6µA shutdown current further extend battery life.
External components are protected by the MAX747's cycle-by-cycle current limit. The MAX747 also features a 2V ±1.5% reference, a comparator for low-battery detection or level translating, as well as soft-start and shutdown capability.
The MAX746, discussed in a separate data sheet, functions similarly to the MAX747, but it drives N-channel logic level FETs on the high side.