Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- More than 90% Efficiency (10mA to 1.5A Loads)
- More than 12.5W Output Power
- 100µA Max Quiescent Supply Current
- 5µA Max Shutdown Supply Current
- Less than 1.0V Dropout Voltage
- 16.5V Max Input Voltage
- 5V (MAX649), 3.3V (MAX651), 3V (MAX652), or Adjustable Output Voltage
- Current-Limited Control Scheme
- Up to 300kHz Switching Frequency
- 5V to 3.3V Green PC Applications
- Battery-Powered Applications
- High-Efficiency Step-Down Regulation
- Minimum Component DC-DC Converters
These devices use miniature external components. Their high switching frequency (up to 300kHz) allows for less than 9mm diameter surface-mount inductors.
The MAX649/MAX651/MAX652 have dropout voltages less than 1V and accept input voltages up to 16.5V. Output voltages are preset at 5V (MAX649), 3.3V (MAX651), and 3V (MAX652). These controllers can also be adjusted to any voltage from 1.5V to the input voltage by using two resistors.
These step-down controllers drive external P-channel MOSFETs at loads greater than 10W. If less power is required, use the MAX639/MAX640/MAX653 step-down converters with on-chip FETs, which allow up to a 225mA load current.