Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- +4.75V to +5.5V or +8V to +28V Input Voltage Range
- Up to 60A Output Current
- Internal Voltage Regulator for a +12V or +24V Power Bus
- True Differential Remote Output Sensing
- Two Out-Of-Phase Controllers Reduce Input Capacitance Requirement and Distribute Power Dissipation
- Average Current-Mode Control
- Superior Current Sharing Between Individual Phases and Paralleled Modules
- Accurate Current Limit Eliminates MOSFET and Inductor Derating
- Integrated 4A Gate Drivers
- Selectable Fixed Frequency 250kHz or 500kHz Per Phase (Up to 1MHz for 2 Phases)
- Fixed (MAX5038) or Adjustable (MAX5041) Output Voltages
- 0.5% Accurate Reference (MAX5041B)
- External Frequency Synchronization from 125kHz to 600kHz
- Internal PLL with Clock Output for Paralleling Multiple DC-DC Converters
- Thermal Protection
- 28-Pin SSOP Package
- High-End Desktop Computers
- Large-Memory Arrays
- Networking Systems
- Point-of-Load High-Current/High-Density Telecom DC-DC Regulators
- RAID Systems
- Servers and Workstations
Differential sensing enables accurate control of the output voltage, while adaptive voltage positioning provides optimum transient response. An internal regulator enables operation with input voltage ranges of +4.75V to +5.5V or +8V to +28V. The high switching frequency, up to 500kHz per phase, and dual-phase operation allow the use of low-output inductor values and input capacitor values. This accommodates the use of PC board-embedded planar magnetics achieving superior reliability, current sharing, thermal management, compact size, and low system cost.
The MAX5038/MAX5041 also feature a clock input (CLKIN) for synchronization to an external clock, and a clock output (CLKOUT) with programmable phase delay (relative to CLKIN) for paralleling multiple phases. The MAX5038 offers a variety of factory-trimmed preset output voltages (see Selector Guide) and the MAX5041 offers an adjustable output voltage from +1.0V to +3.3V.
The MAX5038/MAX5041 operate over the extended industrial temperature range (-40°C to +85°C) and are available in a 28-pin SSOP package. Refer to the MAX5037 data sheet for a VRM 9.0-compatible, VID-controlled output voltage controller in a 44-pin MQFP or QFN package.