Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- +4.75V to +5.5V or +8V to +28V Input Voltage Range
- Up to 60A Output Current
- Internal Voltage Regulator for a +12V or +24V Power Bus
- Internal 5-Bit DAC VID Control (VRM 9.0/VRM 9.1 Compliant, 0.8% Accuracy)
- Programmable Adaptive Output Voltage Positioning
- True Differential Remote Output Sensing
- Out-of-Phase Controllers Reduce Input Capacitance Requirement and Distribute Power Dissipation
- Average-Current-Mode Control
- Superior Current Sharing Between Individual Phases and Paralleled Modules
- Accurate Current Limit Eliminates MOSFET and Inductor Derating
- Limits Reverse-Current Sinking in Paralleled Modules
- Integrated High-Output-Current Gate Drivers
- Selectable Fixed Frequency 250kHz or 500kHz per Phase (Up to 1MHz for Two Phases)
- External Frequency Synchronization from 125kHz to 600kHz
- Internal PLL with Clock Output for Paralleling Multiple DC-DC Converters
- Power-Good Output
- Phase Failure Detector
- Overvoltage and Thermal Protection
- 44-Pin MQFP or Thin QFN Packages
- High-End Desktop Computers
- Large-Memory Arrays
- Networking Systems
- Point-of-Load High-Current/High-Density
- RAID Systems
- Servers and Workstations
- Telecom DC-DC Regulators
Differential sensing enables accurate control of the output voltage, while adaptive voltage positioning provides optimum transient response. An internal regulator enables operation with either +5V or +12V input voltage without the need for additional voltage sources. The high switching frequency, up to 500kHz per phase, and dual-phase operation allow the use of low output inductor values and input capacitor values. This accommodates the use of PC board-embedded planar magnetics achieving superior reliability, current sharing, thermal management, compact size, and low system cost.
The MAX5037A also features a clock input (CLKIN) for synchronization to an external clock, and a clock output (CLKOUT) with programmable phase delay (relative to CLKIN) for paralleling multiple phases. The MAX5037A also limits the reverse current in case the bus voltage becomes higher than the regulated output voltage.
The MAX5037A operates over the extended temperature range (-40°C to +85°C) and is available in 44-pin MQFP or thin QFN packages. Refer to the MAX5038A/MAX5041A and MAX5065/MAX5067 data sheets for either a fixed output voltage controller or an adjustable output voltage controller in an SSOP or thin QFN package.