Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 2.5V to 5.5V System Output Voltage Range
- 0.5V to 5.5V Supercapacitor Voltage Range
- 3A Peak Charging and Backup Inductor Currents
- Resistor-Adjustable VSYS, VCAP Voltages
- Resistor-Adjustable Charging and Backup Currents
- Proven Two-Layer, 2oz Copper PCB Layout
- Demonstrates Compact Solution Size
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- Aftermarket Automotive Tracking
- Handheld Industrial Equipment
- Industrial Sensor and Actuators
- Portable Devices/Computers with Removable Battery
The MAX38889A evaluation kit (EV kit) evaluates the MAX38889 supercapacitor backup regulator, which is designed to transfer power between a supercapacitor and a system supply rail. When the main battery is present and above the minimum system voltage for charging, the MAX38889 charges the supercapacitor with an average current of 1.5A.
Once the supercapacitor is charged, the circuit draws only 4µA of current while it maintains the supercapacitor in its ready state. When the main battery is removed, the MAX38889 draws power from the supercapacitor and regulates the system voltage to the set backup voltage with a programmed maximum peak inductor current of 3A. The MAX38889 is externally programmable for maximum supercapacitor voltage, system backup voltage, peak charging, and peak backup inductor currents.