Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Fixed-Frequency, Current-Mode Control
- 40/60 Optimal Interleaving
- Internal BST Switches
- Internal 5V, 100mA Linear Regulator
- Auxiliary Linear-Regulator Driver (12V or Adjustable Down to 1V)
- Dual Mode™ Feedback—3.3V/5V Fixed or Adjustable Output Voltages
- 200kHz/300kHz/500kHz Switching Frequency
- Undervoltage and Thermal-Fault Protection
- Overvoltage-Fault Protection (MAX17003 Only)
- 6V to 26V Input Range
- 2V ±0.75% Reference Output
- Independent Enable Inputs and Power-Good Outputs
- Soft-Start and Soft-Discharge (Voltage Ramp)
- 8µA (typ) Shutdown Current
- 2 to 4 Li+ Cell Battery-Powered Devices
- Main Power Supplies
- Notebook and Subnotebook Computers
- PDAs and Mobile Communicators
Output current sensing provides peak current-limit protection, using either an accurate sense resistor or using lossless inductor DCR current sensing. A low-noise mode maintains high light-load efficiency while keeping the switching frequency out of the audible range.
An internal, fixed 5V, 100mA linear regulator powers up the MAX17003/MAX17004 and their gate drivers, as well as external keep-alive loads. When the main PWM regulator is in regulation, an automatic bootstrap switch bypasses the internal linear regulator, providing current up to 200mA. An additional adjustable linear-regulator driver with an external pnp transistor may be used with a secondary winding to provide a 12V supply, or powered directly from the main outputs to generate low-voltage outputs as low as 1V.
Independent enable controls and power-good signals allow flexible power sequencing. Voltage soft-start gradually ramps up the output voltage and reduces inrush current, while soft-discharge gradually decreases the output voltage, preventing negative voltage dips. The MAX17003/MAX17004 feature output undervoltage and thermal-fault protection. The MAX17003 also includes output overvoltage-fault protection.
The MAX17003/MAX17004 are available in a 32-pin, 5mm x 5mm, thin QFN package. The exposed backside pad improves thermal characteristics for demanding linear keep-alive applications.