Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Dual-Phase, Quick-PWM Controller
- &#plusmn;0.75% VOUT Accuracy Over Line, Load, and Temperature (1.3V)
- Active Voltage Positioning with Adjustable Gain and Offset
- 5-Bit On-Board DAC: 0.675V to 1.55V Output Adjust Range
- Selectable 100kHz/200kHz/300kHz/550kHz Switching Frequency
- 4V to 28V Battery Input Voltage Range
- Adjustable Slew-Rate Control
- Drives Large Synchronous Rectifier MOSFETs
- Selectable Output Overvoltage Protection
- Undervoltage and Thermal-Fault Protection
- Power Sequencing and Timing
- Selectable Suspend Voltage
- Selectable Single- or Dual-Phase Pulse Skipping
- AMD Hammer Desktop or Notebook PCs
- Multiphase CPU Core Supplies
- Servers/Desktop Computers
- Voltage-Positioned Step-Down Converters
The MAX1544 is intended for two different notebook CPU core applications: stepping down the battery directly or stepping down the 5V system supply to create the core voltage. The single-stage conversion method allows this device to directly step down high-voltage batteries for the highest possible efficiency. Alternatively, two-stage conversion (stepping down the 5V system supply instead of the battery) at a higher switching frequency provides the minimum possible physical size.
The MAX1544 complies with AMD's desktop and mobile CPU specifications. The switching regulator features soft-start and power-up sequencing, and soft-shutdown. The MAX1544 also features independent four-level logic inputs for setting the suspend voltage (S0-S1).
The MAX1544 includes output undervoltage protection, thermal protection, and voltage regulator power-OK (VROK) output. When any of these protection features detect a fault, the controller shuts down. Additionally, the MAX1544 includes selectable overvoltage protection.
The MAX1544 is available in a low-profile, 40-pin 6mm x 6mm thin QFN package. For other CPU platforms, refer to the pin-to-pin compatible MAX1519/MAX1545 and MAX1532/MAX1547 data sheets.