Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 6.5V to 16V DC Input Range
- 3V Provides Up to 650mA (VFD Filament)
- 60V Provides Up to 12mA (VFD Grid)
- 110V Provides Up to 55mA (VFD Anode)
- Output Voltage Accuracy
- 110V (Anode) = ±3% (Regulated Output)
- 60V (Grid) = ±5% (Proportional Loading)
- 3V (Filament) = ±10% (Proportional Loading)
- 71% Efficiency at 16V Input and Full Load
- 5V LDO Output Provides Up to 15mA
- Hiccup Current-Limit and Overtemperature Shutdown
- 100kHz Switching Frequency
- Capacitor Adjustable Soft-Start
- High-Accuracy Undervoltage Lockout (UVLO)
- Output Overvoltage Protection (OVP)
- Capable of Synchronizing to an External Clock
- Low-Cost, Robust Flyback Design
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- Isolated Flyback, Forward, Nonisolated SEPIC, Boost Converters
- Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) Power Supply
The MAX15005A evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested PCB that contains an 11W flyback DC-DC converter for vacuum-fluorescent displays (VFDs) in automotive applications. The circuit uses a MAX15005C high-performance, current-mode pulse-width modulation (PWM) controller in a 16-pin TSSOP package. The EV kit circuit is configured for output voltages of 3V, 60V, and 110V, and provides up to 650mA, 12mA, and 55mA of current from the respective output. Additionally, a 5V low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulator output is provided that can source up to 15mA. Power for the EV kit circuit is provided from a 6.5V to 16V DC source. The MAX15005A EV kit input circuit can sustain a 40V transient.
High efficiency of up to 71% is achieved using a single-transistor flyback DC-DC converter topology. Low cost is achieved through the use of direct secondary-side regulation that does not require optical couplers. Input undervoltage lockout (UVLO), output overvoltage protection (OVP), and soft-start provide for a robust 11W power supply.
Operation at 100kHz minimizes the size of the transformer and passive components.
Warning: The MAX15005A EV kit is designed to operate with high voltages. Dangerous voltages are present on this EV kit and on equipment connected to it. Users who power up this EV kit, or power the sources connected to it, must be careful to follow safety procedures appropriate to working with high-voltage electrical equipment.
Under severe fault or failure conditions, this EV kit may dissipate large amounts of power, which could result in the mechanical ejection of a component or of component debris at high velocity. Operate this kit with care to avoid possible personal injury.