Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Dual USB Switch in Tiny 10-Pin µMAX Package
- Autoreset Feature Saves Power
- Guaranteed 720mA Load per Channel
- Built-In 20ms Fault Blanking
- Compliant to USB Specification
- Blocks Reverse Current in Shutdown (MAX1823A/MAX1823B)
- 4V to 5.5V Input Voltage Range
- Independent Shutdown Control
- (MAX1823/MAX1823A—Active Low)
- (MAX1823B/MAX1823H—Active High)
- Independent active-low FAULT Indicator Outputs
- Thermal-Overload Protection
- 50µA Quiescent Current (Both Switches On)
- 3µA Standby Current
- Docking Stations
- Notebook and Desktop Computers
- PDAs and Palmtop Computers
- USB Ports and Hubs
The MAX1823 has multiple safety features to ensure that the USB port is protected. Built-in thermal-overload protection limits power dissipation and junction temperature. Accurate internal current-limiting circuitry protects the input supply against both overload and short-circuit conditions. Independent fault signals (active-low FAULTA and active-low FAULTB) notify the microprocessor (µP) when a thermal-overload, current-limit, undervoltage-lockout (UVLO), or short-circuit fault occurs. A 20ms fault-blanking feature ignores momentary faults, such as those caused when hot swapping a capacitive load, preventing false alarms to the host system. The MAX1823A/MAX1823B also block reverse current (current from OUT_ to IN_) while in shutdown.
The MAX1823 is available in a space-saving 10-pin µMAX® package. The MAX1823/MAX1823A are enabled with an active-low signal, and the MAX1823B/MAX1823H are enabled with an active-high signal. For a single version of this device, refer to the MAX1946 data sheet. For a triple version, refer to the MAX1940 data sheet.