3.5V to 36V Ideal Diode Controller with Voltage and Current Circuit Breaker
Protect Automotive Supplies from Reverse Current Conduction and Down Stream Loads from High Voltage/Current Transients
The MAX16141/MAX16141A, ideal diode controllers, provide system protection against a variety of system faults, such as reverse current, reverse voltage, overcurrent, input overvoltage/undervoltage, and overtemperature conditions. The wide operating voltage range of 3.5V to 36V, combined with 5µA (typ) of shutdown current, make the MAX16141/ MAX16141A ideal for automotive applications. An integrated charge pump drives the gate of the back-to-back external nFETs 9V above the source connection, minimizing power loss between the source and the load.
A fast-acting comparator allows the MAX16141/MAX16141A to block reverse-current flow within 1µs (max) of the input falling below the output voltage. An external current-sense resistor between RS and OUT provides overload monitoring capability. Two input pins, OVSET and UVSET, provide set points to protect against input overvoltage and undervoltage events using a simple resistive-divider.
During startup, the MAX16141/MAX16141A monitor the voltage drop across the external nFETs (VIN - VOUT) and the load current for overcurrent fault to ensure VOUT is greater than 0.9 x VIN. Once the startup event is complete, the MAX16141/MAX16141A are ready to protect against systems faults. During normal operation, some systems experience brownouts or short interruptions of power. To ensure smooth system recovery from these interruptions, the MAX16141/MAX16141A includes a secondary power input (VCC) to keep critical circuits alive. When the main input power recovers, the MAX16141/MAX16141A enable the gate in fast mode (70µs, typ) to charge the output capacitor.
Both devices feature a low power mode that is enabled with a logic input. In low power mode the devices allow limited current flow from source to the load. For the MAX16141, the low power mode is enabled using an active low logic input, active-low SLEEP. For the MAX16141A, the lower power mode is activated using an active-high logic input (SLEEP).
Additional features include an internal switch that isolates the monitoring from the UVSET and OVSET resistive network in shutdown mode to help minimize system power loss.
The MAX16141 is available in a 4mm x 4mm x 0.75mm, 16-pin TQFN package and operates over the automotive temperature range of -40°C to +125°C.
- Wide Voltage Range
- 3.5V to 36V Operating Voltage Range
- -36V to +60V Protection Voltage Range
- Eliminates Discrete Diode Power Dissipation
- 5µA (Typ) Shutdown Mode Current Reduces Battery Drain
- Sleep Mode Provides Up to 400μA Load Current
- TERM Switch Reduces Power Consumption
- Isolates Failed Supply from Load
- Bidirectional Current Blocking On Open
- Bidirectional Voltage Blocking On Open
- Current Protection
- Factory Adjustable Overcurrent Trip Thresholds
- Factory Adjustable Reverse-Current Trip Thresholds
- Resistor Adjustable Overvoltage and Undervoltage Trip Thresholds
- Automotive Qualified
- Operates Down to +3.5V, Riding Out Cold-Crank Conditions
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
- N-Channel MOSFET Gate Driver of VIN + 8V
- Fault Output
- UVLO, OVLO, Overcurrent, Reverse-Current, Battery Reversal, and Thermal Shutdown
- AEC-Q100 Qualified MAX16141AAF/V+T
- Automotive Power Systems
- Network/Telecom Power Systems
- PoE Systems
- RAID Systems
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|