Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Safe Hot Swap for +1V to +13.2V Power Supplies with Any Input Voltage (VIN_) > 2.7V and Only One VIN_ > 11.0V
- Adjustable Circuit Breaker/Current-Limit Threshold from 25mV to 100mV
- Configurable Tracking, Sequencing, or Independent Operation Modes
- VariableSpeed/BiLevel Circuit-Breaker Response
- Internal Charge Pumps Generate N-Channel MOSFET Gate Drives
- Inrush Current Regulated at Startup
- Autoretry or Latched Fault Management
- Programmable Undervoltage Lockout
- Status Outputs Indicate Fault/Safe Condition
- Base-Station Line Cards
- Bays (Docking Stations)
- Hot Plug-In Daughter Cards
- Network Routers and Switches
- Portable Computer Device
- Solid-State Circuit Breakers
The discharged filter capacitors of the circuit card provide low impedance to the live backplane. High inrush currents from the backplane to the circuit card can burn up connectors and components, or momentarily collapse the backplane power supply leading to a system reset. The MAX5930/MAX5931 hot-swap controllers prevent such problems by gradually ramping up the output voltage and regulating the current to a preset limit when the board is plugged in, allowing the system to stabilize safely. After the startup cycle is complete, on-chip comparators provide VariableSpeed/BiLevel protection against short-circuit and overcurrent faults, and provide immunity against system noise and load transients.
The load is disconnected in the event of a fault condition. The MAX5930/MAX5931 fault-management mode is selectable, allowing latched fault or autoretry after a fault condition.
The MAX5930/MAX5931 offer a variety of options to reduce external component count and design time. All devices integrate an on-board charge pump to drive the gates of low-cost, external N-channel MOSFETs, an adjustable startup timer, and an adjustable current limit. The devices offer integrated features like startup current regulation and current glitch protection to eliminate external timing resistors and capacitors. The MAX5931L provides an open-drain, active-low status output for each channel, the MAX5931H provides an open-drain, active-high status output for each channel, and the MAX5930 status output polarity is selectable.
The MAX5930 is available in a 24-pin QSOP package, and the MAX5931 is available in a 20-pin QSOP package. All devices are specified over the extended -40°C to +85°C temperature range.