Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Integration Reduces Solution Size for Blade Servers and Other Space-Constrained Designs
- Integrated 6mΩ (typ) Internal Power MOSFET Overvoltage Protection
- Power-Good and Fault Outputs
- Programmable Undervoltage Lockout
- Current Reporting Without Need for External RSENSE
- Thermal Protection
- Flexibility Enables Use in Many Unique Designs
- 2.7V to 18V Operating Voltage Range
- Adjustable Circuit-Breaker Current/Current-Limit Threshold
- Programmable Slew-Rate Control
- Variable-Speed Circuit-Breaker Response
- Latchoff or Automatic Retry Options
- Safety Features Ensure Accurate, Robust Protection
- 12A (max) Load Current Capability ±10% Circuit-Breaker Threshold Accuracy
- Inrush Current Regulated at Startup with Foldback
- Implementation for di/dt Control
- IN-to-OUT Short-Circuit Detection
- Disk Drive Power
- RAID Systems
- Server I/O Cards
- Storage Bridge Bay
For new designs, please use the MAX15090B.The existing versions of this product are not recommended for new designs however updated versions of this product will be soon be available. Contact Maxim for more information.
The MAX15090/MAX15090A ICs are integrated solutions for hot-swap applications requiring the safe insertion and removal of circuit line cards from a live backplane. The devices integrate a hot-swap controller, 6mΩ power MOSFET, and an electronic circuit-breaker protection in a single package.
The devices integrate an accurate current-sense circuitry and provide 220µA/A of proportional output current. The devices are designed for protection of 2.7V to 18V supply voltages.
These devices implement a foldback current limit during startup to control inrush current lowering di/dt and keep the MOSFET operating under safe operating area (SOA) conditions. After the startup cycle is complete, on-chip comparators provide VariableSpeed/BiLevel™ protection against short-circuit and overcurrent faults, and immunity against system noise and load transients. The load is disconnected in the event of a fault condition. The devices are factory calibrated to deliver accurate overcurrent protection with ±10% accuracy. During a fault condition, the MAX15090 latches off, while the MAX15090A enters autoretry mode.
The devices feature an IN to OUT short-circuit detection before startup. The devices provide a power-MOSFET GATE pin to program the slew rate during startup by adding an external capacitor. The devices have overvoltage/undervoltage input pins that can detect an overvoltage/undervoltage fault and disconnect the IN from the OUT. Additional features include internal overtemperature protection, power-good output, and fault-indicator output.
The MAX15090/MAX15090A are available in a 28-bump, 2.07mm x 3.53mm, power wafer-level package (WLP) and are rated over the -40°C to +85°C extended temperature range.