4.5V to 36V Full-Bridge DC Motor Driver
Industry’s Simplest and Most Flexible 4.5 to 36V DC-Brushed Motor Driver
DescriptionThe MAX14871 DC motor driver provides a low-power and simple solution for driving and controlling brushed motors with voltages between 4.5V and 36V. Very low driver on resistance reduces power during dissipation.
The MAX14871 features a charge-pump-less design for reduced external components and low supply current. Integrated current regulation allows user-defined peak startup motor currents and requires minimal external components.
The MAX14871 includes 3 modes of current regulation: fast decay, slow decay, and 25% current ripple modes. Current regulation based on 25% ripple simplifies the design and enables regulation independent of motor characteristics. A separate voltage sense input (SNS) reduces current-sensing errors due to parasitic trace resistance.
The MAX14871 features shoot-through protection and internal free-wheeling diodes that absorb inductive motor currents. Driver outputs are short-circuit-protected from shorts to ground, to the supply, and between M1 and M2. An active-low FAULT output signals thermal overload and overcurrents during fault conditions.
The MAX14871 is available in a 16-pin TSSOP-EP package and operates over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Drive More Power and Reduce Footprint
- Up to 2.8A Peak Motor-Current Package
- Flexible 4.5V–36V Supply Enables Longer Runtime
- Low Power Consumption Runs Cooler and Longer
- 334mΩ (typ) Total Bridge On-Resistance
- 1mA (typ) Supply Current at 30kHz/24V
- 10µA (max) Standby Current at 12V
- Simplified Designs Reduces Time to Market
- Charge-Pump-Less Architecture
- Current Regulation Only Requires a Sense Resistor
- Current-Sense Input Simplifies PCB Layout
- Internal/External VREF for Current Regulation
- Fast/Slow/25% Ripple Current Regulation Modes
- Integrated Protection Provides Robust Driving Solutions
- Short-Circuit-Protected Drivers
- Thermal Shutdown Undervoltage Lockout
- Diagnostic Active-Low FAULT Output
- -40°C to +85°C Temperature Range
- Industrial Automation
- Printers and Scanners
- Vending and Gaming Machines
|Part Number||Peak Motor Current|
|Direction Control||Current Regulation||Internal CR Reference||Oper. Temp.|
|Yes||-40 to +85|
MAX14871EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for MAX14871
Technical DocumentsApp Note 6150 Using the MAX14871EVKIT with Software
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
|System Board||6219||MAXREFDES89#: MAX14871 Full-Bridge DC Motor Driver mbed Shield|
|System Board||6218||MAXREFDES88#: Tiny Industrial Proximity Sensor Solution|
|Evaluation Board||8819||MAX14871EVKIT Evaluation Kit for MAX14871|