5V/3.3V or Adjustable, Low-Dropout, Low-IQ, 200mA Linear Regulator with Standby Mode
250mA LDOs Consume Just 11µA at Any Load and in Dropout
DescriptionThe MAX882/MAX883/MAX884 linear regulators maximize battery life by combining ultra-low supply currents and low dropout voltages. They feature 200mA output current capability at up to +125°C junction temperature and come in a 1.5W SOIC package. The 1.5W package (compared to 0.47W for standard SOIC packages) allows a wider operating range for the input voltage and output current. The MAX882/MAX883/MAX884 use a p-channel MOSFET pass transistor to maintain a low 11µA (15µA max) supply current from no-load to the full 200mA output. Unlike earlier bipolar regulators, there are no PNP base current losses that increase with output current. In dropout, the MOSFET does not suffer from excessive base currents that occur when PNP transistors go into saturation. Typical dropout voltages are 220mV at 5V and 200mA, or 320mV at 3.3V and 200mA.
The MAX882 features a 7µA standby mode that disables the output but keeps the reference, low-battery comparator, and biasing circuitry alive. The MAX883/MAX884 feature a shutdown (OFF) mode that turns off all circuitry, reducing supply current to less than 1µA. All three devices include a low-battery-detection comparator, fold-back current limiting, reverse-current protection, and thermal-overload protection.
The output is preset at 3.3V for the MAX882/MAX884 and 5V for the MAX883. In addition, all devices employ Dual Mode™ operation, allowing user-adjustable outputs from 1.25V to 11V using external resistors. The input voltage supply range is 2.7V to 11.5V.
For low-dropout linear regulators with output currents up to 500mA, refer to the MAX603/MAX604 data sheet.
- Foldback Current Limiting
- High-Power (1.5W) 8-Pin SO Package
- Dual Mode Operation: Fixed or Adjustable Output from 1.25V to 11V
- Large Input Range (2.7V to 11.5V)
- Internal 1.1Ω p-Channel Pass Transistor Draws No Base Current
- Low 220mV Dropout Voltage at 200mA Output Current
- 11µA (typ) Quiescent Current
- 1µA (max) Shutdown Mode or 7µA (typ) Standby Mode
- Low-Battery Detection Comparator
- Reverse-Current Protection
- Thermal-Overload Protection
- 1.25V to 11V Adjustable Regulators
- 3.3V and 5V Regulators
- Automotive Electronics
- High-Efficiency Linear Regulators
- Pagers and Cell Phones
- Portable Instrumentation
- Solar-Powered Instruments
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- Enables System Designers to Meet Stringent Module Requirements for 100μA Quiescent Current
- Tiny Output Capacitors Reduce Board Space and BOM Cost
- Accurate Active-Low RESET Output with Adjustable Delay Eliminates Need for Separate Reset IC