Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Integration Minimizes BOM and PCB Area
- Boost/Buck Maxim-Proprietary Architecture
- Integrated 0.168Ω Switching nFET
- Integrated pFET with Inrush Current Limit
- Analog Control Inputs
- Comprehensive Fault Protection
- Boost Undervoltage/Overvoltage Protection
- LED Current Monitoring
- LED Ground Short and Overcurrent Protection
- LEDN Short-to-Battery Protection
- LED Open Protection
- pFET Timeout
- Thermal Warning and Shutdown
- EMI Mitigation
- Spread-Spectrum Frequency Modulation
- Automotive Ready
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
- AEC-Q100 Grade 1 Qualified
- Automotive Driver Monitoring System (DMS)
- Automotive Occupant Monitoring System (OMS)
- Night Vision
- Optical Inspection/Machine Vision
The MAX25614 is a high-current IR LED/VCSEL driver for automotive driver monitoring systems (DMS). The MAX25614 features a Maxim-proprietary architecture that implements both a boost DC-DC and a buck LED driver using a single power stage. The IC can drive IR LED/VCSEL strings of up to 35V from a 4.5V to 36V input supply. The MAX25614 can drive up to 10A peak current to the IR emitter. The MAX25614 is designed for applications where the IR emitter is pulsed on and off, typically at 60Hz or the shutter speed of the corresponding image sensor. The MAX25614C/MAX25614D use fixed-frequency average current-mode control with programmable switching frequency options of 420kHz and 2.1MHz. Both an inrush current-limiting pFET and a low-side switching nFET are integrated.
The MAX25614C/MAX25614D incorporate analog control to set the LED current, boost current, and boost voltage. I2C-controlled variants are available as well, and are described in the MAX25614A/MAX25614B data sheet. A dedicated current-monitoring circuit is integrated to provide instantaneous and/or average LED current information to the microcontroller. The MAX25614 has an open-drain fault output that asserts low in case of open-LED, LED overcurrent, excessive LED on-time, LEDN short-to-battery, boost UV/OV, pFET timeout, or thermal warning/shutdown fault conditions.
The MAX25614 is available in a 28-pin, side-wettable TQFN package with exposed pad and is specified for operation over the -40°C +125°C automotive temperature range.