Synchronous Buck and Buck Boost LED Driver / DC-DC Converter
Automotive Grade LED Driver with Integrated MOSFETs and Internal Current Sense Drives up to 3A LED Current
The MAX25610A/MAX25610B are fully synchronous LED drivers that provide constant output current to drive high-power LEDs. The MAX25610A/MAX25610B integrate two 60mΩ power MOSFETs for synchronous operation, minimizing external components. Flexible configuration supports buck, inverting buck-boost, and boost conversion. The devices incorporate current-mode control that provides fast transient response and eases loop stabilization. The MAX25610A/MAX25610B include cycle by cycle current limiting, output overvoltage protection (OVP), open-string protection, output short-circuit protection (SCP), and thermal shutdown.
In LED driver applications, the MAX25610A/MAX25610B provide analog dimming of the LED current through the REFI pin, and PWM dimming through the PWMDIM pin. Switching is enabled when PWMDIM is high, and disabled with both MOSFETs off when PWMDIM is low. Analog programming of the PWMDIM pin enables the built-in digital dimming function, with dimming frequency selected by the PWMFRQ pin.
The MAX25610A/MAX25610B include two 5V regulators. A regulated 5V between VCC and AGND is used for IC bias, REFI and PWMFRQ programming. Another low current regulated 5V between VEE and INN is used for analog PWMDIM and FLT pullup. Both PWMDIM and FLT reference INN for easy system interface. Switching frequency is internally set at 400kHz for the MAX25610A and 2.2MHz for the MAX25610B. The devices have built-in spread spectrum to reduce EMI noise. External and internal current sense are supported, with ±3% and ±6% respective LED current accuracy.
The MAX25610A/MAX25610B are well-suited for automotive applications requiring high voltage input and can withstand load dump events up to 40V. The devices can also be used as a DC-DC converter using the FB input as feedback for the output voltage divider. The MAX25610A/MAX25610B are available in thermally enhanced 16-pin TSSOP-EP and 16-pin TQFN packages. They are specified to operate over the -40°C to +125°C automotive temperature range.
- Automotive Ready: AEC-Q100 Qualified
- Integration Minimizes BOM to Save Space and Cost
- Wide input-Voltage Range from 5V to 36V in Buck-Boost LED Driver Applications
- 2.2MHz Switching Frequency Option Reduces Inductor Size
- Internal Current-Sense Option Reduces Cost
- Integrated High and Low-Side Switching MOSFETs
- PWM Dimming with an Analog Control Voltage Minimizes Additional Components for Dimming
- Wide Dimming Ratio Allows High Contrast Ratio
- Analog and PWM Dimming
- Multi-Topology Architecture Provides Flexibility
- Buck LED Driver for 1-to-2 LEDs When Operating of Automotive Battery Applications
- Inverting Buck-Boost LED Driver for 3-to-5 LEDs When Operating from Automotive Battery Applications
- Protection Features and Wide Temperature Range Increase System Reliability
- -40°C to +125°C Operating Temperature Range
- Short-Circuit, Overvoltage, and Thermal Protection
- Active-Low FLT Flag for Fault Indication
- Automotive Lighting Applications
- Industrial Lighting Applications
|Part Number||Regulation Topology||Max. No. of LEDs||LED Channels||VIN|
Technical DocumentsApp Note 6946 Time for a New Class of Flexible Automotive LED Drivers
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- Wide Voltage-Range Operation
- High Integration
- Robust and Low EMI