Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Demonstrates Robustness of MAX20444B
- Wide 4.5V to 36V Input Operating Range (Up to 52V Load Dump)
- Powers HB LEDs (Up to four strings) for Medium-to-Large-Sized LCD Displays in Automotive and Display Backlight Applications
- 400kHz to 2.2MHz Resistor-Programmable Switching Frequency with Spread-Spectrum Option
- Phase-Shift Dimming Option
- Demonstrates Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limit and Thermal-Shutdown Features
- Demonstrates Wide Dimming Ratio
- Demonstrates Failsafe Operation
- I2C Programmability
- Dedicated GUI
- Proven PCB and Thermal Design
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- Central Information Displays
- Infotainment Displays
- Instrument Clusters
The MAX20444B evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the MAX20444B integrated, 4-channel, high-brightness LED driver with boost controller and I2C interface for automotive displays.
The EV kit operates from a DC supply voltage between 4.5V and 36V, and the switching frequency can be set at either 2.2MHz or 400kHz. The EV kit can be configured to operate in stand-alone mode or in I2C mode. Spread-spectrum mode (SSM) for EMI improvement is enabled by default, but it can be disabled trough a register bit. The EV kit demonstrates phase-shifted pulse-width modulation (PWM) dimming, which can be performed either externally using a PWM signal applied to the DIM PCB pad or internally by programming the desired dimming frequency and individual duty cycle using I2C. The hybrid dimming feature can also be enabled through a register bit to reduce EMI. The EV kit also demonstrates fault protection for short LED, open LED, boost output undervoltage and overvoltage, and overtemperature.
For operation at switching frequencies other than 2.2MHz or 400kHz, the external components should be chosen according to the calculations in the MAX20444B IC data sheet.
The EV kit provides an I2C interface that can operate in conjunction with the MINIQUSB+ adapter board or a third party I2C master. The EV kit also includes Windows®-compatible software that provides a simple graphical user interface (GUI) for exercising the features of the IC.