Active-Clamped, Spread-Spectrum, Current-Mode PWM Controllers
Active-Clamped, Spread-Spectrum, Current-Mode PWM Controllers with Adjustable Frequency from 100kHz to 600kHz
DescriptionThe MAX5974_ provide control for wide-input-voltage, active-clamped, current-mode PWM, forward converters in Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) powered device (PD) applications. The MAX5974A/MAX5974C are well-suited for universal or telecom input range, while the MAX5974B/MAX5974D also accommodate low input voltage down to 10.5V.
The devices include several features to enhance supply efficiency. The AUX driver recycles magnetizing current instead of wasting it in a dissipative clamp circuit. Programmable dead time between the AUX and main driver allows for zero-voltage switching (ZVS). Under light-load conditions, the devices reduce the switching frequency (frequency foldback) to reduce switching losses.
The MAX5974A/MAX5974B feature unique circuitry to achieve output regulation without using an optocoupler, while the MAX5974C/MAX5974D utilize the traditional optocoupler feedback method. An internal error amplifier with a 1% reference is very useful in nonisolated design, eliminating the need for an external shunt regulator.
The devices feature a unique feed-forward maximum duty-cycle clamp that makes the maximum clamp voltage during transient conditions independent of the line voltage, allowing the use of a power MOSFET with lower breakdown voltage. The programmable frequency dithering feature provides low-EMI, spread-spectrum operation.
The MAX5974_ are available in 16-pin TQFN-EP packages and are rated for operation over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Peak Current-Mode Control, Active-Clamped Forward PWM Controller
- Regulation Without Optocoupler (MAX5974A/MAX5974B)
- Internal 1% Error Amplifier
- 100kHz to 600kHz Programmable ±8% Switching Frequency, Synchronization Up to 1.2MHz
- Programmable Frequency Dithering for Low-EMI, Spread-Spectrum Operation
- Programmable Dead Time, PWM Soft-Start, Current Slope Compensation
- Programmable Feed-Forward Maximum Duty-Cycle Clamp, 80% Maximum Limit
- Frequency Foldback for High-Efficiency Light-Load Operation
- Internal Bootstrap UVLO with Large Hysteresis
- 100µA (typ) Startup Supply Current
- Fast Cycle-by-Cycle Peak Current-Limit, 35ns Typical Propagation Delay
- 115ns Current-Sense Internal Leading-Edge Blanking
- Output Short-Circuit Protection with Hiccup Mode
- Reverse Current Limit to Prevent Transformer Saturation Due to Reverse Current
- Internal 18V Zener Clamp on Supply Input
- 3mm x 3mm, Lead-Free, 16-Pin TQFN-EP
- Active-Clamped Forward DC-DC Converters
- High-Power PD (Beyond the 802.3af/at Standard)
- IP Phones
- PoE IEEE® 802.3af/at Powered Devices
- Security Cameras
- Wireless Access Nodes
Technical DocumentsReference Schematic 5043 Active-Clamped Forward, Dual-Output PD Provides High-Performance Solution for PoE Applications
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
|Reference Circuit||5043||Active-Clamped Forward, Dual-Output PD Provides High-Performance Solution for PoE Applications|
|Evaluation Board||7611||MAX5974CEVKIT Evaluation Kit for the MAX5974C|
|Evaluation Board||7456||MAX5974AEVKIT Evaluation Kit for the MAX5974A|
|Evaluation Board||10041||MAX5995BEVKIT Evaluation Kit for the MAX5995A, MAX5995B, MAX5995C, MAX5974D|