20-Output, 76V, Serial-Interfaced VFD Tube Drivers
DescriptionThe MAX6921/MAX6931 are 20-output, 76V, vacuum-fluorescent display (VFD) tube drivers that interface a multiplexed VFD tube to a VFD controller, such as the MAX6850–MAX6853, or to a microcontroller. The MAX6921/MAX6931 are also ideal for driving static VFD tubes or telecom relays.
Data is input using an industry standard 4-wire serial interface (CLOCK, DATA, LOAD, BLANK), compatibile with either Maxim's or industry-standard VFD driver and controller.
For easy display control, the active-high BLANK input forces all driver outputs low, turning the display off, and automatically puts the MAX6921/MAX6931 into shutdown mode. Display intensity can also be controlled by directly pulse-width modulating the BLANK input.
The MAX6921 has a serial interface data output, DOUT, allowing any number of devices to be cascaded on the same serial interface.
The MAX6931 has a negative supply voltage input, VSS, allowing the drivers' output swing to be made bipolar to simplify filament biasing in many applications.
The MAX6921 is available in 28-pin TSSOP, SO, and PLCC packages. The MAX6931 is available in a 28-pin TSSOP package.
Maxim also offers 12-output VFD drivers (MAX6920) and 32-output VFD drivers (MAX6922/MAX6932).
- 5MHz Industry-Standard 4-Wire Serial Interface
- 3V to 5.5V Logic Supply Range
- 8V to 76V Grid/Anode Supply Range
- -11V to 0V Filament Bias Supply (MAX6931 Only)
- Push-Pull CMOS High-Voltage Outputs
- Outputs can Source 40mA, Sink 4mA Continuously
- Outputs can Source 75mA Repetitive Pulses
- Outputs can be Paralleled for Higher Current Drive
- Any Output can be Used as a Grid or an Anode Driver
- Blank Input Simplifies PWM Intensity Control
- Small 28-Pin TSSOP Package
- -40°C to +125°C Temperature Range
- Gaming Machines
- Industrial Control
- Industrial Weighing
- VFD Modules
- White Goods
|Part Number||Controller/ Drvr.||Display Type||Interface||Cursor Control||Blink Cntrl.||VSUPPLY|
|MAX6921||Driver||Any type||Serial 4-Wire||No||No||8.0 to 76.0|
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|