Automotive 6-Channel Backlight Driver with Boost/SEPIC Controller and I2C Interface
6-Channel 120mA LED Driver Provides Full Diagnostics and Hybrid Dimming thru I2C
The MAX20446 is a 6-channel backlight driver with boost controller for automotive displays. The integrated current outputs can sink up to 130mA LED current each. The device accepts a wide 4.5V to 36V input voltage range and withstands direct automotive load-dump events.
The internal current-mode switching DC-DC controller supports boost or SEPIC topologies and operates in the frequency range 400kHz to 2.2MHz. Integrated spread spectrum helps reduce EMI. An adaptive output-voltage control scheme minimizes power dissipation in the LED current-sink paths.
The device features I2C-controlled pulse-width modulation (PWM) dimming and hybrid dimming. In either case the minimum pulse width is 500ns. Phase-shifted dimming of the strings is incorporated for lower EMI.
Comprehensive diagnostic information is also available via the I2C interface.
The MAX20446 is available in a TQFN package and operates in the -40°C to 125°C temperature range.
- Wide-Voltage-Range Operation
- Operates Down to 4V Supply After Startup
- Survives Load Dump Up to 52V
- High Integration
- Complete 6-Channel Solution Including Boost Controller
- I2C Control for Minimum Parts Count
- Robust and Low EMI
- Spread-Spectrum Oscillator
- Phase Shifting
- 400kHz to 2.2MHz Switching-Frequency Range
- Fail-Safe Operation Mode Using the FSEN Pin
- Versatile Dimming Scheme Allows Hybrid or PWM-Only Dimming Using DIM Input or I2C
- Dimming Ratio > 10000:1 Using Hybrid Dimming
- 10000:1 Dimming Ratio at 200Hz using PWM Dimming
- Complete Diagnostics
- LED Open/Short Detection and Protection
- Boost Output Undervoltage and Overvoltage
- Boost Voltage
- Individual String LED Current
- Thermal Shutdown
- Compact (4mm x 4mm) 24-Pin TQFN Package
- Central Information Displays
- Infotainment Displays
- Instrument Clusters
|Part Number||Regulation Topology||Max. No. of LEDs||LED Channels||VIN|
MAX20446EVKIT: Evaluation Kit for the MAX20446
Technical DocumentsApp Note 6818 How to Design an LED Backlight Driving System using the MAX20446
App Note 6632 How to Design an Automotive TFT Display System
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- High Integration
- Low EMI
- I2C Control/Diagnostic Interface with FLTB (Interrupt) Output