CMOS Monolithic Voltage Converter
Inverts or Doubles Input Voltage
DescriptionThe MAX660 monolithic, charge-pump voltage inverter converts a +1.5V to +5.5V input to a corresponding-1.5V to -5.5V output. Using only two low-costcapacitors, the charge pump's 100mA output replaces switching regulators, eliminating inductors and their associated cost, size, and EMI. Greater than 90% efficiency over most of its load-current range combined with a typical operating current of only 120µA provides ideal performance for both battery-powered and board-level voltage conversion applications. The MAX660 can also double the output voltage of an input power supply or battery, providing +9.35V at 100mA from a +5V input.
A frequency control (FC) pin selects either 10kHz typ or 80kHz typ (40kHz min) operation to optimize capacitor size and quiescent current. The oscillator frequency can also be adjusted with an external capacitor ordriven with an external clock. The MAX660 is a pin-compatible, high-current upgrade of the ICL7660.
The MAX660 is available in both 8-pin DIP and small-outline packages in commercial, extended, and military temperature ranges.
For 50mA applications, consider the MAX860/MAX861 pin-compatible devices (also available in ultra-small µMAX packages).
- Small Capacitors
- 0.65V Typ Loss at 100mA Load
- Low 120µA Operating Current
- 6.5Ω Typ Output Impedance
- Guaranteed ROUT < 15Ω for C1 = C2 = 10µF
- Pin-Compatible High-Current ICL7660 Upgrade
- Inverts or Doubles Input Supply Voltage
- Selectable Oscillator Frequency: 10kHz/80kHz
- 88% Typ Conversion Efficiency at 100mA (IL to GND)
- Handheld Instruments (PDAs, Palmtops)
- Interface Power Supplies
- Laptop Computers
- Medical Instruments
- Operational Amplifier Power Supplies
Technical DocumentsApp Note 1876 Doubler/Inverter Charge Pumps Divide by Two
App Note 1170 Circuit Connection Adds Current-Mode Operation to PFM Boost Converters
App Note 673 5-to-1.8V Converter Works Without Magnetics
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- 8A Switched Capacitor Converter
- 2S to 1S Battery Voltage Conversion (VOUT = VIN/2)
- Integrated Power Switches
|App Note||1876||Doubler/Inverter Charge Pumps Divide by Two|
|App Note||1170||Circuit Connection Adds Current-Mode Operation to PFM Boost Converters|
|App Note||673||5-to-1.8V Converter Works Without Magnetics|