Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- CCCV, Thermally Regulated Linear Single-Cell Li+ Battery Charger
- No External MOSFET, Reverse-Blocking Diode, or Current-Sense Resistor
- Programmable Fast-Charge Currents (1ARMS max)
- Programmable Top-Off Current Threshold (min)
- Input Overvoltage Protected 4.7V Output (SAFEOUT) from DC
- Input Overvoltage-Protected 4.7V Output (SAFEUSB) from USB
- Proprietary Die Temperature Regulation Control (+115°C)
- 4.25V to 28V Input-Voltage Range with Input Overvoltage Protection Above +7.5V
- Low-Dropout Voltage (300mV at 500mA)
- Input Power-Source Detection Output (Active-Low POK), Charge Status Output (Active-Low CHG), and Charge-Enable Input (Active-Low EN)
- Output for Autobooting (MAX8844Z = ABO, MAX8844Y = Active-Low ABO)
- Lead(Pb)-Free and RoHS Compliant
- Bluetooth® Equipment
- Cellular and Cordless Phones
- Charging Cradles and Docks
- Digital Still Cameras
- MP3 Players
- Smart Phones and PDAs
- USB Appliances
The MAX8844Z EV kit features two input overvoltage-protected LDO outputs (SAFEOUT, SAFEUSB) for low-voltage-rated USB or charger inputs in the system, and a battery pack detection circuit (DETBAT) that disables the IC when the battery pack is absent. The MAX8844Z EV kit also features an adjustable fast-charge current set by an external resistor (R1) and an adjustable top-off current threshold set by an external resistor (R2).
Other features include an active-low control input (active-low EN) and an active-low input power source detection output (active-low POK). The IC also contains a booting assistant circuit that distinguishes input sources and battery connection, and provides an output signal (MAX8844Z = ABO, MAX8844Y = active-low ABO) for system booting.
To evaluate the MAX8844Y version, sample the MAX8844YETD+ along with the MAX8844ZEVKIT+ and see the Evaluating the MAX8844Y section in the full data sheet.