Advanced Chemistry-Independent, Level 2 Battery Charger with Input Current Limiting
DescriptionThe MAX1645B is a high-efficiency battery charger capable of charging batteries of any chemistry type. It uses the Intel System Management Bus (SMBus) to control voltage and current-charge outputs.
When charging lithium-ion (Li+) batteries, the MAX1645B automatically transitions from regulating current to regulating voltage. The MAX1645B can also limit line input current so as not to exceed a predetermined current drawn from the DC source. A 175s charge safety timer prevents "runaway charging" should the MAX1645B stop receiving charging voltage/current commands.
The MAX1645B employs a next-generation synchronous buck control circuitry that lowers the minimum input-to-output voltage drop by allowing the duty cycle to exceed 99%. The MAX1645B can easily charge one to four series Li+ cells.
- Input Current Limiting
- 175s Charge Safety Timeout
- 128mA Wake-Up Charge
- Charges Any Chemistry Battery: Li+, NiCd, NiMH, Lead Acid, etc.
- Intel SMBus 2-Wire Serial Interface
- Compliant with Level 2 Smart Battery Charger Spec Rev 1.0
- +8V to +28V Input Voltage Range
- Up to 18.4V Battery Voltage
- 11-Bit Battery Voltage Setting
- ±0.8% Output Voltage Accuracy with Internal Reference
- 3A (max) Battery Charge Current
- 6-Bit Charge-Current Setting
- 99.99% (max) Duty Cycle for Low-Dropout Operation
- Load/Source Switchover Drivers
- >97% Efficiency
- Notebook Computers
- Personal Digital Assistants
- Point-of-Sale Terminals
|Part Number||Lithium Ion Cells||Protected VIN|
|Charge Rate Set by||Max. ICHG|
|Charge Termination||Charge Regulation||Oper. Temp.|
|3||Smart Battery Control||Switchmode||-40 to +85|
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- Battery Health + Programmable Safety/Protection
- ModelGauge m5 EZ Algorithm
- Precision Measurement Without Calibration
- AEC-Q100 Grade 2 Temperature Range
- Operating Voltage from 9V to 65V
- Ultra-Low-Power Operation