Advanced-Chemistry-Independent, Level-2 Battery Chargers with Input Current Limiting
SMBus Controlled, Chemistry Independent Smart Battery Charger with Input Current Limiting and Safety Timer
DescriptionThe MAX1645 is a high-efficiency battery charger capable of charging batteries of any chemistry type. It uses the Intel® System Management Bus (SMBus) to control voltage and current charge outputs.
When charging lithium-ion (Li+) batteries, the MAX1645 automatically transitions from regulating current to regulating voltage. The MAX1645 can also limit line input current so as not to exceed a predetermined current drawn from the DC source. A 175sec charge safety timer prevents "runaway charging" should the MAX1645 stop receiving charging voltage/current commands.
The MAX1645 employs a next-generation synchronous buck control circuitry that lowers the minimum input-to-output voltage drop by allowing the duty cycle to exceed 99%. The MAX1645 can easily charge one to four series Li+ cells.
- Input Current Limiting
- 175sec Charge Safety Timeout
- 128mA Wake-Up Charge
- Charges Any Chemistry Battery: Li+, NiCd, NiMH, Lead Acid, etc.
- Intel SMBus 2-Wire Serial Interface
- Compliant with Level 2 Smart Battery Charger Spec. Rev. 1.0
- +8V to +28V Input Voltage Range
- Up to 18.4V Battery Voltage
- 11-Bit Battery Voltage Setting
- ±0.8% Output Voltage Accuracy with Internal Reference
- 3A max Battery Charge Current
- 6-Bit Charge Current Setting
- 99.99% max Duty Cycle for Low-Dropout Operation
- Load/Source Switchover Drivers
- >97% Efficiency
- Notebook Computers
- PDAs and Other Handheld Devices
- Point-of-Sale Terminals
|Part Number||Lithium Ion Cells||Protected VIN|
|Charge Rate Set by||Max. ICHG|
|Charge Termination||Charge Regulation||Oper. Temp.|
|3||Smart Battery Control||Switchmode||-40 to +85|
|See All Battery Chargers (74)|
| Pricing Notes: |
This pricing is BUDGETARY, for comparing similar parts. Prices are in U.S. dollars and subject to change. Quantity pricing may vary substantially and international prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees, and exchange rates. For volume-specific and version-specific prices and delivery, please see the price and availability page or contact an authorized distributor.
Technical DocumentsApp Note 981 Smart Battery-Charging Schemes for Level 2 Chargers are Accurate and Efficient
App Note 344 Battery Chargers Fulfill System Power Requirements and Charge Batteries
Quality and Environmental DataProduct Reliability Reports: MAX1645A.pdf
Lead-Free Package Tin (Sn) Whisker Reports
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C|
- AECQ-100 Grade 2 Temperature Range
- Operating Voltage from 9V to 65V
- Ultra-Low-Power Operation