Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Li+ Charger with Smart Power Selector, No External MOSFETs Needed
- Monitors Battery Temperature and Adjusts Charge Current and Termination Voltage Automatically per JEITA Recommendations
- Active-Low OT Flags System of a Hot Battery During Discharge
- Ultra-Low IQ, Always-On 3.3V LDO
- Common or Separate USB and Adapter Inputs
- Automatic Adapter/USB/Battery Switchover
- Load Peaks in Excess of Adapter Rating are Supported by Battery
- Input OVP to 16V (DC) and 9V (USB)
- 40mΩ SYS-to-BATT Switch
- Thermal Regulation Prevents Overheating
- 4.35V SYS Regulation Voltage
- Digital Still Cameras and Digital Video Cameras
- Handheld Game Systems
- PDAs, Palmtop, and Wireless Handhelds
- Portable Media, MP3 Players, and PNDs
The MAX8934G operates with either separate inputs for USB and AC adapter power, or from a single input that accepts both. All power switches for charging and switching the load between battery and external power are included on-chip. No external MOSFETs are required.
The MAX8934G features a Smart Power Selector to make the best use of limited USB or adapter power. Input current limit and battery charge current limit are independently set. Input power not used by the system charges the battery. Charge current limit and DC current limit can be set up to 1.5A and 2A, respectively, while USB input current can be set to 100mA or 500mA. Automatic input selection switches the system load from battery to external power.
The MAX8934G provides a SYS output voltage of 4.35V.
Other features include overvoltage protection (OVP), open-drain charge status and fault outputs, power-OK monitors, charge timers, and a battery thermistor monitor. Additionally, on-chip thermal limiting reduces the battery charge-rate to prevent charger overheating. The MAX8934G is available in a 28-pin, 4mm x 4mm, TQFN package.