Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 1-Phase Quick-PWM Controllers
- ±0.5% VOUT Accuracy Over Line, Load, and Temperature
- 7-Bit IMVP-6 DAC (MAX8796/MAX17401 Only)
- 5-Bit GMCH DAC
- Active Voltage Positioning with Adjustable Gain
- Accurate Droop and Current Limit
- Remote Output and Ground Sense
- Adjustable Output-Voltage Slew Rate
- Power-Good Window Comparator
- Power Monitor
- Temperature Comparator
- Drives Large Synchronous Rectifier FETs
- 2V to 26V Power Input Range
- Adjustable Switching Frequency (600kHz max)
- Output Overvoltage Protection (MAX8796/MAX8797 Only)
- Undervoltage and Thermal-Fault Protection
- Soft-Startup and Soft-Shutdown
- Internal Boost Diodes
- 2 to 4 Lithium-Ion (Li+) Cell Battery-to-CPU Core Supply Converters
- Graphics Core Power Supply
- IMVP-6/IMVP-6+ Core Power Supply
- Intel GMCH Crestline/Cantiga
- Voltage-Positioned Step-Down Converters
The MAX8796/MAX8797/MAX17401 are intended for two different notebook CPU/GPU core applications: either bucking down the battery directly to create the core voltage, or else bucking down the +5V system supply. The single-stage conversion method allows this device to directly step down high-voltage batteries for the highest possible efficiency. Alternatively, 2-stage conversion (stepping down the +5V system supply instead of the battery) at higher switching frequency provides the minimum possible physical size.
A slew-rate controller allows controlled transitions between VID codes. A thermistor-based temperature sensor provides programmable thermal protection. A power monitor provides an analog voltage output proportional to the power consumed by the CPU/GPU.
The MAX8796/MAX17401 implement both the Intel IMVP-6 CPU core specifications, as well as the Intel GMCH graphics core specifications. The MAX8797 implements the Intel GMCH graphics core specifications. The MAX8796/MAX17401 are available in a 32-pin TQFN package. The MAX8797 is available in a 28-pin TQFN package.