Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 97% Efficiency
- 4.2V to 30V Input Range
- 2.5V to 5.5V Dual Adjustable Outputs
- Selectable 3.3V and 5V Fixed or Adjustable Outputs (Dual Mode)
- 12V Linear Regulator
- Adjustable Secondary Feedback (MAX8741)
- 5V/50mA Linear-Regulator Output
- Precision 2.5V Reference Output
- Programmable Power-Up Sequencing
- Power-Good (active-low RESET) Output
- Output Overvoltage Protection
- Output Undervoltage Shutdown
- 333kHz/500kHz Low-Noise, Fixed-Frequency Operation
- Low-Dropout, 98% Duty-Factor Operation
- 2.5mW Typical Quiescent Power (12V Input, Both SMPSs On)
- 4µA Typical Shutdown Current
- Desktop CPU Local DC-DC Converters
- Notebook and Subnotebook Computers
- PDAs and Mobile Communicators
Up to 97% efficiency is achieved through synchronous rectification and Maxim's proprietary Idle Mode control scheme. Efficiency is greater than 80% over a 1000:1 load-current range, which extends battery life in system suspend or standby mode. Excellent dynamic response corrects output load transients within five clock cycles. Strong 1A on-board gate drivers ensure fast external n-channel MOSFET switching.
These devices feature a logic-controlled and synchronizable, fixed-frequency, pulse-width-modulation (PWM) operating mode. This reduces noise and RF interference in sensitive mobile communications and pen-entry applications. Asserting the active-low SKIP pin enables fixed-frequency mode, for lowest noise under all load conditions.
The MAX8741/MAX8742 include two PWM regulators, adjustable from 2.5V to 5.5V with fixed 5.0V and 3.3V modes. All these devices include secondary feedback regulation, and the MAX8742 contains a 12V/120mA linear regulator. The MAX8741 includes a secondary feedback input (SECFB), plus a control pin (STEER) that selects which PWM (3.3V or 5V) receives the secondary feedback signal. SECFB provides a method for adjusting the secondary winding voltage regulation point with an external resistor-divider, and is intended to aid in creating auxiliary voltages other than fixed 12V.
The MAX8741/MAX8742 contain internal output overvoltage- and undervoltage-protection features.