Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- No Current-Sense Resistor Needed (MAX8734A)
- Accurate Current Sense with Current-Sense Resistor (MAX8732A/MAX8733A)
- 1.5% Output Voltage Accuracy
- 3.3V and 5V 100mA Bootstrapped Linear Regulators
- Internal Soft-Start and Soft-Stop Output Discharge
- Quick-PWM with 100ns Load Step Response
- 3.3V and 5V Fixed or Adjustable Outputs (Dual Mode™)
- 4.5V to 24V Input Voltage Range
- Enhanced Ultrasonic Pulse-Skipping Mode (25kHz min)
- Power-Good (PGOOD) Signal
- Overvoltage Protection Enable/Disable
- 3- and 4-Cell Li+ Battery-Powered Devices
- Notebook and Subnotebook Computers
- PDAs and Mobile Communication Devices
Maxim's proprietary Quick-PWM™ quick-response, constant on-time PWM control scheme operates without sense resistors and provides 100ns response to load transients while maintaining a relatively constant switching frequency. The unique ultrasonic pulse-skipping mode maintains the switching frequency above 25kHz, which eliminates noise in audio applications. Other features include pulse skipping, which maximizes efficiency in light-load applications, and fixed-frequency PWM mode, which reduces RF interference in sensitive applications.
The MAX8732A features a 200kHz/5V and 300kHz/3.3V SMPS for highest efficiency, while the MAX8733A features a 400kHz/5V and 500kHz/3.3V SMPS for "thin and light" applications. The MAX8734A provides a pin-selectable switching frequency, allowing either 200kHz/300kHz or 400kHz/500kHz operation of the 5V/3.3V SMPSs, respectively. The MAX8732A/MAX8733A/MAX8734A are available in 28-pin QSOP packages and operate over the extended temperature range (-40°C to +85°C).
The MAX8732A/MAX8733A/MAX8734A are pin-for-pin upgrades to the MAX1777/MAX1977/MAX1999. The MAX1999 evaluation kit (EV kit) can be used to evaluate the MAX8732A/MAX8733A/MAX8734A.