Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 1-Phase Quick-PWM Controller
- ±0.5% VOUT Accuracy Over Line, Load, and Temperature
- 7-Bit IMVP-6.5 DAC
- IMVP-6.5 and GMCH Compliant
- Active Voltage Positioning with Adjustable Gain
- Accurate Droop and Current Limit
- Remote Output and Ground Sense
- Adjustable Output-Voltage Slew Rate
- Power-Good Window Comparator
- Current Monitor
- Temperature Comparator
- Drives Large Synchronous Rectifier FETs
- 2V to 26V Battery Input Range
- Adjustable Switching Frequency (600kHz, max)
- Output Overvoltage (MAX17028 Only)
- Undervoltage and Thermal-Fault Protection
- Soft-Startup and Soft-Shutdown
- Internal Boost Diode
- 1-to-4 Lithium-Ion (Li+) Cell Battery-to-CPU Core
- Graphics Core Power Supply
- IMVP-6.5 Core Power Supply
- Intel Calpella Platforms
- Intel GMCH 2009
- Supply Converters
- Voltage-Positioned Step-Down Converters
The MAX17028/MAX17428 are intended for two different notebook CPU/GPU core applications: either bucking down the battery directly to create the core voltage, or else bucking down the +5V system supply. The single-stage conversion method allows these devices to directly step down high-voltage batteries for the highest possible efficiency. Alternatively, 2-stage conversion (stepping down the +5V system supply instead of the battery) at higher switching frequency provides the minimum possible physical size.
A slew-rate controller allows controlled transitions between VID codes. A thermistor-based temperature sensor provides programmable thermal protection. A current monitor provides an analog output current proportional to the processor load current.
The MAX17028/MAX17428 implement both the Intel IMVP-6.5 CPU core specifications (V3P3 = 3.3V), as well as the Intel GMCH graphics core specifications (V3P3 = GND). The MAX17028/MAX17428 are available in a 32-pin, 5mm x 5mm, TQFN package.