Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- High Switching Frequency (1.2MHz)
- Controlled Inductor Current-Ripple Architecture
- Reduced BOM Cost
- Small Inductor and Output Capacitors
- ±0.4% Accurate Charge Voltage
- ±2.5% Accurate Input-Current Limiting
- ±3% Accurate Charge Current
- Single-Point Compensation
- Monitor Outputs for
- ±2.5% Accurate Input Current Limit
- ±2.5% Battery Discharge Current
- AC Adapter Detection
- Analog/PWM Adjustable Charge-Current Setting
- Adjustable Battery Voltage (4.2V to 4.4V/Cell)
- Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limit
- Battery Short-Circuit Protection
- Fast Response for Pulse Charging
- Fast System-Load-Transient Response
- Programmable Charge Current < 5A
- Automatic System Power Source Selection with n-Channel MOSFET
- Internal Boost Diode
- +8V to +26V Input Voltage Range
- Notebook Computers
- Portable Equipment with Rechargeable Batteries
- Tablet PCs
The charge voltage and charge current are set with analog control inputs. The charge current setting can also be adjusted with a PWM input. High-accuracy current-sense amplifiers provide fast cycle-by-cycle current-mode control to protect against short circuits to the battery and respond quickly to system load transients. In addition, the charger provides a high-accuracy analog output that is proportional to the adapter current. In the MAX17415, this current monitor remains active when the adapter is absent to monitor battery discharge current.
The MAX17415 adjusts the charge voltage setting and the number of cells through a feedback resistor-divider from the output. All variants of the charger can provide at least 4A of charge current with a 10mΩ sense resistor.
The charger utilizes a charge pump to control an n-channel adapter selection switch. The charge pump remains active even when the charger is off. When the adapter is absent, a p-channel MOSFET selects the battery.
The MAX17415 is available in a small, 4mm x 4mm x 0.8mm 20-pin, lead-free TQFN package. An evaluation kit is available to reduce design time.