Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Ultra-High Efficiency
- No Current-Sense Resistor (lossless ILIMIT)
- Quick-PWM with 100ns Load-Step Response
- 1% VOUT Accuracy over Line and Load
- Dual-Mode Fixed 1.8V/3.3V/Adj or 2.5V/Adj Outputs
- Adjustable 1V to 5.5V Output Range
- 2V to 28V Battery Input Range
- 200/300/420/540kHz Nominal Switching Frequency
- Over/Undervoltage Protection
- 1.7ms Digital Soft-Start
- Drives Large Synchronous-Rectifier FETs
- Power-Good Indicator
- 1.8V and 2.5V I/O Supplies
- Chipset/RAM Supplies as Low as 1V
- CPU Core Supplies
- Notebook Computers
Maxim's proprietary Quick-PWM quick-response, constant-on-time PWM control scheme handles wide input/output voltage ratios with ease and provides 100ns "instant-on" response to load transients while maintaining a relatively constant switching frequency.
The MAX1715 achieves high efficiency at a reduced cost by eliminating the current-sense resistor found in traditional current-mode PWMs. Efficiency is further enhanced by its ability to drive very large synchronous-rectifier MOSFETs.
Single-stage buck conversion allows this device to directly step down high-voltage batteries for the highest possible efficiency. Alternatively, two-stage conversion (stepping down the +5V system supply instead of the battery) at a higher switching frequency allows the minimum possible physical size.
The MAX1715 is intended for CPU core, chipset, DRAM, or other low-voltage supplies as low as 1V. The MAX1715 is available in a 28-pin QSOP package. For applications requiring VID compliance or DAC control of output voltage, refer to the MAX1710/MAX1711 data sheet. For a single-output version, refer to the MAX1714 data sheet.