Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- ±1% DC Accuracy (Adjustable Mode)
- Output Overvoltage Crowbar Protection
- Output Undervoltage Shutdown
- Adjustable Switching Frequency to 340kHz
- Low-Dropout Operation
- Idle Mode Pulse-Skipping Operation
- 1.10V to 5.5V Adjustable Output Voltage
- 2.5V/3.3V Dual-Mode Fixed-Output Settings
- Internal Digital Soft-Start
- 1.1V ±1% Reference Output
- 3µA (typ) Shutdown Current
- Open-Drain Power-Good Output (active-low RESET)
- 20-Pin SSOP Package
- Bus-Termination Supplies
- Computers: Desktop, Workstation, Server
- Notebook Computers
- Subnotebook Computers
Up to 95% efficiency is achieved through synchronous rectification and Maxim's proprietary Idle Mode control scheme. Efficiency is greater than 80% over a 1000:1 load-current range, extending battery life in system-suspend or standby modes. Excellent dynamic response corrects output load transients caused by the latest dynamic-clock CPUs within five 300kHz clock cycles. Strong, 1A, on-board gate drivers ensure fast, external N-channel MOSFET switching.
The MAX1636 features a logic-controlled and synchronizable, fixed-frequency, pulse-width-modulation (PWM) operating mode that reduces noise and RF interference in sensitive mobile communications and pen-entry applications. Holding SKIP high forces fixed-frequency mode for lowest noise under all load conditions.
For a low-cost version that omits the +5V VL linear-regulator block and comes in a smaller 16-pin QSOP package, refer to the MAX1637 data sheet.