Evaluation Kit for the MAX20459
The MAX20459 evaluation kit (EV kit) demonstrates the MAX20459 automotive high-current, high-efficiency, stepdown DC-DC converter with integrated USB Type-C DFP controller and host-charger-adapter emulation, which provides ESD and short-to-battery protection.
The MAX20459 features integrated host-charger portdetection circuitry adhering to the USB Type-C specification, the USB-IF BC1.2 battery charging specification, Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad® and Samsung® charge-detection termination resistors, and Chinese Telecommunication Industry Standard YD/T 1591-2009.
The MAX20459 step-down, synchronous, DC-DC converter operates from a voltage of up to 28V continuous and protects against load-dump transients up to 40V. The converter is programmable for frequencies from 275kHz to 2.2MHz and can deliver 3A continuously.
The MAX20459 integrates thermal management in a twostage approach to limit maximum die temperature. In the first stage, the standalone variant reduces the Type-C handshake and DC current limit by one step when die temperature exceeds 130°C (typ). The second stage triggers DC-DC shutdown if the die temperature continues rising and exceeds 165°C (typ).
The EV kit is populated with a standalone enabled MAX20459ATJC/V+ that is configured by pull-down resistors. The I2C variant (MAX20459ATJA/V+) allows for flexible configuration, detailed fault diagnostics, and access to the on-chip ADC that reports die temperature, output voltage, and output current. The I2C features are easily accessed by using the Maxim MINIQUSB module along with the provided example GUI.
- Configurable Charge-Detection Modes
- USB-C 3.0A, 1.5A, 0.5A
- USB-IF BC1.2 DCP
- Apple 2.4A, 1.0A
- Samsung 2.0A
- China YD/T 1591-2009 Charging Specification
- Automatic USB Voltage Adjustment by Integrated DC-DC Converter (275kHz - 2.2MHz)
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- One-Chip Type-C Solution Directly from Car Battery to Portable Device
- Optimal USB Charging and Communication for Portable Devices
- Low-Noise Features Prevent Interference with AM Band and Portable Devices
- Customizable Firmware
- USB Type-C Support and USB-PD Support
- Supports BC1.2 Legacy/Proprietary Charger Detection
- USB Type-C CC1/CC2 Protection Switches
- Integrated 550mΩ VCONN FETs with 250mAOvercurrent Protection
- USB 2.0 D+/D- Protection Switches with 1GHz Bandwidth