3A Automotive Hi-Speed USB Protectors with Apple iPhone/iPad and USB 2.0 Charge Detection
Industry's Lowest USB Power FET Resistance with Compliance to BC1.2 and Apple iPhone/iPad Charging Specifications
DescriptionThe MAX16972/MAX16972A provide high-ESD and short-circuit protection for the low-voltage internal USB data and USB power line in automotive radio, navigation, connectivity, and USB hub applications. The devices support both Hi-Speed USB (480Mbps) and full-speed USB (12Mbps) operation. In addition, the devices also include integrated circuitry to enable fast-charging for consumer devices adhering to either the Apple method or the Hi-Speed USB host-charger port-detection protocol and support USB On-The-Go (OTG).
The short-circuit protection features include short-to-battery on the protected HVBUS, HVD+, and HVD- outputs, as well as short-to-HVBUS on the protected HVD+ and HVD- outputs. The devices are capable of a short-to-battery condition of up to +18V. Short-to-GND and overcurrent protection are also provided on the HVBUS output to protect the internal BUS power rail from overcurrent faults.
Each device features high-ESD protection to ±15kV Air Gap method and ±8kV Contact method on all protected HVBUS, HVD+, and HVD- outputs.
Each device features two low 4.0Ω on-resistance Hi-Speed USB switches, a current-limited low-voltage 31mΩ BUS switch, and provides an integrated high-voltage external power-switch controller. The BUS switch can start up into large capacitive noncompliant USB loads. The devices also feature an enable input, a fault output, integrated Apple iPhone®/iPad® fast-charging termination resistors, and an integrated host-charger port-detection circuit adhering to the USB 2.0 battery charging specification version 1.2.
The devices are available in 16-pin QSOP and 16-pin (4mm × 4mm) TQFN packages and operate over the -40°C to +105°C temperature range. The MAX16972 and MAX16972A are drop-in compatible with MAX16970,MAX16971, MAX16970A, MAX16971A, MAX16917, MAX16919, and MAX16969 devices.
- Minimized Voltage Drop on Bus Line Due to Industry- Leading RDS(ON) Helps Meet USB Voltage Specifications at Device Connector
- Current-Limited 31mΩ (typ) BUS Switch with High- Capacitive Load Capability
- Robust Overvoltage and ESD Protection for Automotive Environment Saves on External Protection Components
- Short-to-Battery and Short-to-GND Protection on Protected HVBUS Output
- Short-to-Battery and Short-to-HVBUS Protection on Protected HVD+ and HVD- Outputs
- Two 4.0Ω (typ) RON USB 2.0 Data Switches
- Integrated Overcurrent and Short-Circuit Autoretry
- High ESD Protection (HVD+, HVD-, HVBUS)
- ± 15kV Human Body Model
- ± 15kV IEC 61000-4-2 Air Gap
- ± 8kV IEC 61000-4-2 Contact
- 20ms Fault-Blanking Timeout Period
- Automatic Transitioning of Charge Modes Through Intelligent State Machine for Seamless Device Integration
- Integrated Apple iPhone 1.0A Dedicated Charging Mode
- Integrated Apple iPad 2.1A Dedicated Charging Mode
- USB-IF BC1.2 Charging Downstream Port (CDP) and Dedicated Charging Port (DCP) Modes
- Chinese Telecommunication Industry-Standard YD/T 1591-209
- USB On-The-Go (OTG) Support
- AEC-Q100 Qualified
- Automotive Connectivity
- Automotive Radio and Navigation
- USB Hub
|Part Number||USB||Power Switches||Data Switches||Current Limit|
|Fault Indicator||Current Limit Accuracy|
|Current Limit Set By||RON|
|Supported Charging Configurations||Oper. Temp.|
|-40 to +105|
|See All Current Limit and USB Power Switches (81)|
| Pricing Notes: |
This pricing is BUDGETARY, for comparing similar parts. Prices are in U.S. dollars and subject to change. Quantity pricing may vary substantially and international prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees, and exchange rates. For volume-specific and version-specific prices and delivery, please see the price and availability page or contact an authorized distributor.
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C|
- USB Type-C CC1/CC2 Protection Switches
- Integrated 550mΩ VCONN FETs with 250mAOvercurrent Protection
- USB 2.0 D+/D- Protection Switches with 1GHz Bandwidth