Simplified Block Diagram
- Operate from a Single 3.3V Supply-No Charge Pump!
- Interoperable with +5V Logic
- 8ns Max Skew (MAX3485/MAX3490/MAX3491)
- Slew-Rate Limited for Errorless Data Transmission (MAX3483/MAX3488)
- 2nA Low-Current Shutdown Mode (MAX3483/MAX3485/MAX3486/MAX3491)
- -7V to +12V Common-Mode Input Voltage Range
- Allows up to 32 Transceivers on the Bus
- Full-Duplex and Half-Duplex Versions Available
- Industry Standard 75176 Pinout (MAX3483/MAX3485/MAX3486)
- Current-Limiting and Thermal Shutdown for Driver Overload Protection
- Industrial Control Local Area Networks
- Integrated Services Digital Networks
- Low-Power RS-485/RS-422 Transceivers
- Packet Switching
- Transceivers for EMI-Sensitive Applications
Drivers are short-circuit current limited and are protected against excessive power dissipation by thermal shutdown circuitry that places the driver outputs into a high-impedance state. The receiver input has a fail-safe feature that guarantees a logic-high output if both inputs are open circuit.
The MAX3488, MAX3490, and MAX3491 feature full-duplex communication, while the MAX3483, MAX3485, and MAX3486 are designed for half-duplex communication.