Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- For Space-Constrained Applications:
- MAX3228E/MAX3229E: ±15kV ESD-Protected, +2.5V to +5.5V, RS-232 Transceivers in UCSP™
- MAX3222E/MAX3232E/MAX3241E/MAX3246E: ±15kV ESD-Protected, Down to 10nA, +3.0V to +5.5V, Up to 1Mbps, True RS-232 Transceivers (MAX3246E Available in UCSP)
- For Low-Voltage or Data Cable Applications:
- MAX3380E/MAX3381E: +2.35V to +5.5V, 1µA, 2Tx/2Rx RS-232 Transceivers with ±15kV ESD-Protected I/O and Logic Pins
- Battery-Powered Equipment
- Cellular Phones
- Handheld Equipment
- Notebook, Subnotebook, and Palmtop Computers
All devices achieve a 1µA supply current using Maxim's revolutionary AutoShutdown Plus™ feature. These devices automatically enter a low-power shutdown mode when the RS-232 cable is disconnected or the transmitters of the connected peripherals are inactive, and the UART driving the transmitter inputs is inactive for more than 30 seconds. They turn on again when they sense a valid transition at any transmitter or receiver input. AutoShutdown Plus saves power without changes to the existing BIOS or operating system.
The MAX3225E/MAX3227E/MAX3245E also feature MegaBaud™ operation, guaranteeing 1Mbps for high-speed applications such as communicating with ISDN modems. The MAX3224E/MAX3226E/MAX3244E guarantee 250kbps operation. The transceivers have a proprietary low-dropout transmitter output stage enabling true RS-232 performance from a +3.0V to +5.5V supply with a dual charge pump. The charge pump requires only four small 0.1µF capacitors for operation from a 3.3V supply. The MAX3224E–MAX3227E feature a logic-level output (READY) that asserts when the charge pump is regulating and the device is ready to begin transmitting.
All devices are available in a space-saving TQFN, SSOP, and TSSOP (MAX3224E/MAX3225E/MAX3244E/MAX3245E) packages.