Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Isolated Data Interface, Guaranteed to 1260VRMS (1min)
- +15kV ESD Protection on I/O Pins
- Slew-Rate Limited for Errorless Data Transmission (MAX1480EC/MAX1490EB)
- High-Speed, Isolated, 2.5Mbps RS-485/RS-422 Interface (MAX1480EA/MAX1490EA)
- Full-Duplex Data Communication
- Single +5V Supply
- Current Limiting and Thermal Shutdown for Driver Overload Protection
- Standard 0.6in DIP Packages
- 28-Pin DIP (MAX1480EA/MAX1480EC)
- 24-Pin DIP (MAX1490EA/MAX1490EB)
- Automated Test Equipment (ATE)
- HVAC/Building Control Networks
- Industrial Control Local Area Networks
- Isolated RS-485/RS-422 Data Interface
- Transceivers for EMI-Sensitive Applications
The MAX1480EC/MAX1490EB feature reduced-slew-rate drivers that minimize EMI and reduce reflections caused by improperly terminated cables, allowing error-free data transmission at data rates up to 160kbps. The MAX1480EA/MAX1490EA driver slew rate is not limited, allowing transmission rates up to 2.5Mbps. The MAX1480EA/MAX1480EC are designed for half-duplex communication, while the MAX1490EA/MAX1490EB feature full-duplex communication.
Drivers are short-circuit current limited and protected against excessive power dissipation by thermal shutdown circuitry that places the driver outputs into a high-impedance state. The receiver input has a fail-safe feature that guarantees a known output (RO low for the MAX1480EA/MAX1480EC, active-low RO high for the MAX1490EA/ MAX1490EB) if the input is open circuit.
The MAX1480EA/MAX1480EC/MAX1490EA/MAX1490EB withstand 1260VRMS (1min) or 1520VRMS (1s). Their isolated outputs meet all RS-485/RS-422 specifications. The MAX1480EA/MAX1480EC are available in a 28-pin DIP package, and the MAX1490EA/MAX1490EB are available in a 24-pin DIP package.