Simplified Block Diagram
- For Integrated ESD Protection
- MAX1480E/MAX1490E: ±15kV ESD-Protected, Isolated RS-485/RS-422 Data Interfaces
- For Space-Constrained Applications
- MAX3157: High CMRR, RS-485 Transceiver with ±50V Isolation
- Automated Test Equipment (ATE)
- HVAC/Building Control Networks
- Industrial-Control Local Area Networks
- Isolated RS-485/RS-422 Data Interface
- Transceivers for EMI-Sensitive Applications
The MAX1480B/MAX1480C/MAX1490B feature reduced-slew-rate drivers that minimize EMI and reduce reflections caused by improperly terminated cables, allowing error-free data transmission at data rates up to 250kbps. The MAX1480A/MAX1490A driver slew rate is not limited, allowing transmission rates up to 2.5Mbps. The MAX1480A/B/C are designed for half-duplex communication, while the MAX1490A/B feature full-duplex communication.
Drivers are short-circuit current limited and protected against excessive power dissipation by thermal shutdown circuitry that places the driver outputs into a high-impedance state. The receiver input has a fail-safe feature that guarantees a known output (active-low RO low for the MAX1480A/B/C, RO high for the MAX1490A/B) if the input is open circuit.
The MAX1480A/MAX1480B/MAX1480C/MAX1490A/MAX1490B typically withstand 1600VRMS (1 minute) or 2000VRMS (1 second). Their isolated outputs meet all RS-485/RS-422 specifications. The MAX1480A/B/C are available in a 28-pin DIP package, and the MAX1490A/B are available in a 24-pin DIP package.