Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- +5.0V Operation
- Extended ESD Protection for RS-485/RS-422 I/O Pins ±15kV Human Body Model
- True Fail-Safe Receiver While Maintaining EIA/TIA-485 Compatibility
- Hot-Swap Input Structures on DE and active-low RE
- Enhanced Slew-Rate Limiting Facilitates Error-Free Data Transmission (MAX13080E–MAX13084E/MAX13089E)
- Low-Current Shutdown Mode (Except MAX13081E/MAX13084E/MAX13087E)
- Pin-Selectable Full-/Half-Duplex Operation (MAX13089E)
- Phase Controls to Correct for Twisted-Pair Reversal (MAX13089E)
- Allow Up to 256 Transceivers on the Bus
- Available in Industry-Standard 8-Pin SO Package
- Industrial Control
- Lighting Systems
- Security Systems
- Utility Meters
The MAX13080E–MAX13089E +5.0V, ±15kV ESD-protected, RS-485/RS-422 transceivers feature one driver and one receiver. These devices include fail-safe circuitry, guaranteeing a logic-high receiver output when receiver inputs are open or shorted. The receiver outputs a logic-high if all transmitters on a terminated bus are disabled (high impedance). The MAX13080E family include a hot-swap capability to eliminate false transitions on the bus during power-up or hot insertion.
The MAX13080E/MAX13081E/MAX13082E feature reduced slew-rate drivers that minimize EMI and reduce reflections caused by improperly terminated cables, allowing error-free data transmission up to 250kbps. The MAX13083E/MAX13084E also feature slew-rate-limited drivers but allow transmit speeds up to 500kbps. The MAX13086E/MAX13087E/MAX13088E driver slew rates are not limited, making transmit speeds up to 16Mbps possible. The MAX13089E slew rate is pin selectable for 250kbps, 500kbps, and 16Mbps.
The MAX13082E/MAX13088E are intended for half-duplex communications, and the MAX13080E/MAX13081E/MAX13083E/MAX13084E/MAX13086E/MAX13087E are intended for full-duplex communications. The MAX13089E is selectable for half-duplex or full-duplex operation. It also features independently programmable receiver and transmitter output phase through separate pins.
The MAX13080E family transceivers draw 1.2mA of supply current when unloaded or when fully loaded with the drivers disabled. All devices have a 1/8-unit load receiver input impedance, allowing up to 256 transceivers on the bus.The MAX13080E/MAX13083E/MAX13086E/MAX13089E are available in 14-pin PDIP and 14-pin SO packages. The MAX13081E/MAX13082E/MAX13084E/MAX13087E/MAX13088E are available in 8-pin PDIP and 8-pin SO packages. The devices operate over the commercial, extended, and automotive temperature ranges.