Ultra-Low Power Industrial, Octal, Digital Input Translator
Industry's Lowest Power Octal Industrial Digital Input Translator/Terminator
The signal voltage translation is performed in conjunction with input current limiting and lowpass filtering. Input current limiting allows a significant reduction in power consumed from the field-supply voltage, as compared to traditional discrete resistor-divider implementations. To achieve the lowest in-class power dissipation, the IC uses patent-pending circuit techniques to achieve further reduction of power dissipation beyond what is possible by input current limiting alone. This special low-power operating mode is automatically activated when on-chip lowpass filtering is selected.
Selectable on-chip lowpass filters allow flexible debouncing and filtering of sensor inputs based on the application. When no filtering is selected, the IC is capable of detecting pulses as short as 0.75μs at its field inputs.
All 8 input channels are translated to CMOS logic levels and presented in parallel on the eight output pins for direct or galvanically isolated interface with a controller ASIC or micro.
The on-chip 5V voltage regulator can be used to power external optocouplers, digital isolators, or other external 5V circuitry.
For low-cost applications, Maxim Integrated offers a pin compatible version of this device, the MAX31915, which does not include the current-switching circuitry included in the MAX31914.
- Flexible Supply Options Enables Usage in 24V, 12V, and 5V Supplied Systems
- 7V to 36V Wide Operating Field-Supply Range
- Device Can Be Optionally Powered from the Logic-Side Using a 5V Supply
- Low Power and Low Heat Dissipation
- Very Low Quiescent Current
- Extremely Accurate and Stable Input Current Limiters
- Special Ultra-Low-Power Operating Mode with Switched Current Limiters
- Configurability Enables a Wide Range of Standard and Custom Applications
- Configurable Inputs for IEC 61131-2 Input Types 1, 2, and 3 or for Standard CMOS Logic Levels
- 0.5mA to 6mA Configurable Input Current Limiting
- Selectable Input Filtering and Debounce: 0, 25μs, 0.75ms, and 3ms Settings
- High Integration Reduces BOM Count and Board Space
- 8 High-Voltage Input Channels (36V Max)
- 8 CMOS Logic Outputs for High-Speed Simultaneous Transfer of All Input States to the Controller
- On-Chip 5V Regulator
- On-Chip Overtemperature Indicator
- On-Chip Field-Supply Voltage Monitor
- High HBM ESD Immunity on all Field Input Pins (15kV HBM)
- Digital Input Modules for Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Industrial Automation, Building Automation
- Process Automation
|Part Number||Sensor Interface Type||µC Interface Type||# Channels||VSUPPLY|
|Low Power Shutdown||Oper. Temp.|
|MAX31914||IEC 61131-2 Digital Input Types 1, 2, 3||Parallel||8||7||36||1600||No||-40 to +125|
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|
- Per-Channel Configurability Enables Wide Range of Applications
- Fault Tolerant with Built-In Diagnostics
- High Integration Reduces BOM Count and PCB Space