SPI/MICROWIRE-Compatible UART with Integrated True Fail Safe RS-485/RS-422 Transceivers
DescriptionThe MAX3140 is a complete universal asynchronous receiver-transmitter (UART) and a true fail-safe RS-485/RS-422 transceiver combined in a single 28-pin QSOP package for space-, cost-, and power-constrained applications. The MAX3140 saves additional board space as well as microcontroller (µC) I/O pins by featuring an SPI™/QSPI™/MICROWIRE™-compatible serial interface. It is pin-programmable for configuration in all RS-485/RS-422 networks.
The MAX3140 includes a single RS-485/RS-422 driver and receiver featuring true fail-safe circuitry, which guarantees a logic-high receiver output when the receiver inputs are open or shorted. This feature provides immunity to faults without requiring complex termination. The MAX3140 provides software-selectable control of half- or full-duplex operation, data rate, slew rate, and transmitter and receiver phase. The RS-485 driver slew rate is programmable to minimize EMI and results in maximum data rates of 115kbps, 500kbps, and 10Mbps. Independent transmitter/receiver phase control enables software correction of twisted-pair polarity reversal. A 1/8-unit-load receiver input impedance allows up to 256 transceivers on the bus.
The MAX3140's UART includes an oscillator circuit derived from an external crystal, and a baud-rate generator with software-programmable divider ratios for all common baud rates from 300 baud to 230k baud. The UART features an 8-word-deep receive FIFO that minimizes processor overhead and provides a flexible interrupt with four maskable sources, including address recognition on 9-bit networks. Two control lines are included for hardware handshaking-one input and one output.
The MAX3140 operates from a single +5V supply and typically consumes only 645µA with the receiver active. Hardware-invoked shutdown reduces supply current to only 20µA. The UART and RS-485/RS-422 functions can be used together or independently since the two functions share only supply and ground connections (the MAX3140 is hardware- and software-compatible with the MAX3100 and MAX3089).
- Integrated UART and RS-485/RS-422 Transceiver in a Single 28-Pin QSOP
- SPI/MICROWIRE-Compatible Interface Saves µC I/O Pins
- True Fail-Safe Receiver Output Eliminates Complex Network Termination
- Pin-Programmable RS-485/RS-422 Features
- Half/Full-Duplex Operation
- Slew-Rate Limiting for Reduced EMI
- 115kbps/500kbps/10Mbps Data Rates
- Receiver/Transmitter Phase for Twisted-Pair Polarity Reversal
- Full-Featured UART
- Programmable Up to 230k baud with a 3.6864MHz Crystal
- 8-Word Receive FIFO Minimizes Processor Overhead
- 9-Bit Address-Recognition Interrupt
- Allows Up to 256 Transceivers on the Bus
- Low 20µA Hardware Shutdown Mode
- Hardware/Software-Compatible with MAX3100 and MAX3089
- Embedded Systems
- HVAC and Building Control
- Industrial Control Local Area Networks
- Intelligent Instruments
- Point-of-Sale (POS) Devices
- Transceivers for EMI-Sensitive Applications
|Part Number||µP I/F||Channels||ICC|
|MAX3140||SPI and Microwire Compatible||1||0.7||5|
|Device||Fab Process||Technology||Sample size||Rejects||FIT at 25°C||FIT at 55°C||Material Composition|