Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- High Power Density and Efficiency
- Monolithic, Smart Power-Stage Support: MAX20790
- Small Power-Stage Footprint: ~24mm2
- Top-Tier Efficiency (95.6% Peak Efficiency at 1.8VOUT)
- Integrated Input Power Monitor
- Telemetry Through PMBus
- Digitally Programmable Configuration
- Input Voltage, Current, and Power Monitoring
- Power-Stage Temperature Monitoring and Reporting
- Advanced Power Management
- Autonomous Phase-Shedding
- Orthogonal Current Rebalance for Phase-Current Balance During Transients
- Low Quiescent Current—Improves Light-Load and Standby Efficiency
- Protection Features
- Controller Input and Bias Supply Undervoltage Protection
- Power-Stage Supply and Boost UVLO Protection
- Power-Stage Boost Refresh
- Power-Stage VX Short and Overtemperature Shutdown
- Fast Overcurrent Protection
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested
- AI Cores and XPUs
- Communications and Networking Equipment Supply
- Enterprise Storage
- Graphics Processors
- High-Current Multiphase Voltage Regulators
- Networking ASICs
- Servers and Workstations
- VR13.HC CPUs and Memory
The MAX16602CL8 evaluation kit (EV kit) is a fully assembled and tested surface-mount circuit board that contains all of the components necessary to evaluate the MAX16602 and MAX20790. The MAX16602 is a PMBus™-compatible, multiphase voltage regulator controller for AI cores or Intel® VR13.HC server CPUs. The IC is packaged in a 56-pin, 7mm x 7mm QFN. The controller generates eight pulse-width modulated (PWM) control signals or phases. The EV kit is an 8-phase multiphase synchronous buck converter that uses 2-phase coupled inductors, which reduce the effective inductor value and size without excessive ripple current, thus reducing the required output capacitance and improving transient response.
The EV kit also demonstrates the full functionality of the MAX20790 smart power-stage IC. The IC has monolithic integration and advanced packaging technology that allow high-switching frequencies with significantly lower losses than conventional implementations. There are eight MAX20790 devices for the main output rail.
Warning: The EV kit is designed to operate with 12V input and high current. Follow safe procedures when working with high-current electrical equipment.
Under severe fault or failure conditions, this EV kit can dissipate large amounts of power, which could result in the mechanical ejection of a component or of component debris at high velocity. Operate this kit with care to avoid possible personal injury.