Server Monitoring and Security
Monitor Server Modules to Improve Efficiency and Reduce Down-Time
The controller in a module-based rack or chassis system often needs to identify which cards are installed, monitor key metrics, such as temperature, and track hot-swapped units. The 1-Wire® memory, I/O, and temperature-sensor products solve this problem by providing a unique identity for every module in the system, allowing all devices to be interrogated over a common 1-Wire connection.
Benefits of 1-Wire products
- Backplane connector complexity is minimized
- Operating power is derived entirely from the 1-Wire line, over a single twisted pair
- Automatic module detection enables hot/live system insertion
- Wide operating ranges: +2.8V to +5.25V, -40°C to +85°C
- Each part is uniquely identified by a factory-lasered 64-Bit ROM ID
- 1-Wire line drivers can offload 1-Wire communication from the host software
1-Wire Devices for Rack/Blade Servers
Applications for Rack/Blade Servers
Inventory and Asset Tracking
Take inventory of an entire server rack or blade system by embedding a 1-Wire memory IC in each module. Reduce time and labor costs associated with manual asset tracking and inventory counts. 1-Wire EEPROM devices include user memory and a unique ROM ID (serial number).
1-Wire addressable EEPROM devices allow the master to determine the sequence and physical location of modules. Use these 1-Wire devices to:
- Eliminate errors in identifying equipment in need of rebooting or other types of service.
- Identify in-use and available rack space and improve efficiency of rack re-configurations.
Improve data center security by alerting when an asset is moved or removed; this is a great application for 1-Wire serial EEPROM devices.
To take security a step further, a DeepCover Secure Authenticator can be embedded in each module to provide secure authentication, to ensure that the module is genuine to the OEM.
Monitor thermal state of inventory in real-time with a 1-Wire Digital Thermometer with Sequence Detect and PIO
- Sequence detect determines the physical location of modules
- PIO powers an indicator LED when problems occur, such as equipment outages and overheating
| Back to Top |
Summary of 1-Wire Products for Rack/Blade Servers
|DS28E04-100||Addressable EEPROM with PIO, Sequence Detect||4Kbit||1-Wire||Allows host system to detect physical location of each module.|
|DS2431||EEPROM||1Kbit||1-Wire||Provides module identification and programmable memory.|
|DS28EA00||Digital Thermometer, PIO, Sequence Detect||-||1-Wire||Ensures equipment is in the proper temperature range. Detects sequence without need for DS28E04-100. PIO can be used to power an LED to alert technician when a problem is detected.|
|DS2413||Addressable Switch||-||1-Wire||Provides programmable I/O pins.|
|DS2484||Single Channel 1-Wire Master||-||I2C slave, 1-Wire master||Offloads 1-Wire communication from host software.|
|DS2482-800||8 Channel 1-Wire Master||-||I2C slave, 1-Wire master||Offloads 1-Wire communication from host software. Provides eight physical 1-Wire lines.|
|DS28E25||Secure Authenticator||4Kbit||1-Wire||Provides counterfeit protection and ensures modules are genuine OEM equipment.|
| Back to Top |
|Application Note||5403||How to Build a 1-Wire® Evaluation Kit|
|Application Note||4334||Add Thermal Monitoring to Reduce Data Center Energy Consumption|
|Application Note||4037||Regain Location Information by Leveraging the 1-Wire® Chain Function—A Simple Signaling and Protocol Method Determines Device Physical Location|