Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- 1128 bits of 5V EEPROM memory partitioned into four pages of 256 bits, a 64-bit write-only secret and up to five general purpose read/write registers
- Write access requires knowledge of the secret and the capability of computing and transmitting a 160-bit MAC as authorization
- Secret and data memory can be write-protected (all or page 0 only) or put in EPROM-emulation mode ("write to 0", page 1)
- On-chip 512-bit SHA-1 engine to compute 160-bit MAC and to generate secrets
- Reads and writes over a wide voltage range of 2.8V to 5.25V from -40°C to +85°C
- Communicates to host with a single digital signal at 14.1kb per second using 1-Wire protocol
- On-chip 16-bit CRC generator for safeguarding data transfers
- Overdrive mode boosts communication speed to 125kbps
- Operating temperature range from -40°C to +85°C
- Minimum 10 years of data retention at 85°C
- Unique, factory-lasered and tested 64-bit registration number (8-bit family code + 48-bit serial number + 8-bit CRC tester) assures absolute traceability because no two parts are alike
- Multidrop controller for 1-Wire net
- Digital identification and information by momentary contact
- Chip-based data carrier compactly stores information
- Data can be accessed while affixed to object
- Button shape is self-aligning with cup-shaped probes
- Durable stainless steel case engraved with registration number withstands harsh environments
- Easily affixed with self-stick adhesive backing, latched by its flange, or locked with a ring pressed onto its rim
- Presence detector acknowledges when reader first applies voltage
The DS1961S understands a unique command "Refresh Scratchpad." Proper use of a refresh sequence (see Writing with Verification section) after a copy scratchpad operation reduces the number of weak bit failures in a touch environment. The refresh sequence also provides a means to restore functionality in a device with bits in a weak state.
Each DS1961S has its own 64-bit ROM registration number that is factory lasered into the chip to provide a guaranteed unique identity for absolute traceability. The durable stainless steel package is highly resistant to environmental hazards such as dirt, moisture, and shock. Its compact coin-shaped profile is self-aligning with mating receptacles, allowing the DS1961S to be easily used by human operators. Accessories permit the DS1961S to be mounted on almost any surface including plastic key fobs and photo-ID badges.